This job is no longer available
Senior Commercial Manager
Circa £70k + benefits
TfL is currently undertaking some of the largest, most challenging construction projects in Europe, all in the centre of London. These projects will continue the transformation of London’s metro infrastructure, with major expansions to key stations and upgrades to our lines and assets. TfL also is commencing a programme that will see new trains, new signalling systems and an extensive programme of asset upgrades for our deep tube system. To safely deliver these projects in a complex, live operational environment, TfL is adopting novel commercial and sourcing models and is working with our worldwide supply chain to deliver value and innovation. As a member of the senior commercial team, and as part of the wider project teams, you will take accountability for the optimal commercial delivery of this work.
Challenge, stability and progression: these influential roles offer rewards that go way beyond an exceptional benefits package. You’ll be joining a high profile, well-structured and dynamic department, helping to oversee an annual spend of some £1.5 billion across a portfolio of exciting capital projects that range from station upgrades to new signalling systems.
A rich heritage with a strong commercial focus and an iconic brand. They all add up to make Transport for London a unique public service and provides a challenging environment to develop your career.
The Commercial Directorate is now building a reputation as an in-house centre of excellence and expertise. With dynamic leadership and a clear sense of direction, this is the ideal place to help drive positive change and take your career to a new level.
Based on a strong, focused commercial team which is committed to forward planning, you will lead and direct the delivery of commercial activities, processes and systems and orchestrate stakeholders to maintain commercial control of programmes and projects. As well as managing the full spectrum of procurement activities, you will manage the contract administration, cost management and claims management.
One of the very large programmes that Transport for London is now working on is the upgrade to the Deep Tube. We are considering a new breed of underground train that is lighter and faster, which offers greater capacity and levels of passenger comfort, and which establishes new levels in reliability. As well as trains, this programme would see a new railway control system, maintenance depot upgrades, enhancements to stations, the power network and to other infrastructure. This is a large, complex and exciting programme that in many respects is unique. Transport for London is recruiting for leadership roles amongst commercial and procurement professionals to join this programme.
What you’ll need
We’re looking for strong self motivation, confident, authoritative individuals with the gravitas and credibility to win the immediate respect of stakeholders and suppliers, with significant experience at senior management level. Your strong business acumen and entrepreneurial flair will be complemented by outstanding people management, communication and analytical skills. Extensive experience and expertise to plan and deliver cost management to deadlines, manage complex customer and supplier relationships and resolve project delivery issues. You will also have a detailed knowledge of claims management law, JCT/ICE/NEC forms of contract and PPM methods supported by a CIPS, RICS or equivalent qualification.
Please ensure you submit a CV as part of your application. Your CV should highlight how you possess the relevant Skills, Knowledge and Experience for the role.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
• The various commercial activities and how they inter relate and are applied on major work streams, projects and programmes.
• Interpretation of market information and deploy it effectively in estimating, cost planning and strategy development.
• Producing estimates and cost plans for major schemes appropriate for all design stages, understanding the limitations of each and applicable levels of optimisation bias, risk and contingency and apply cost checks to emerging designs.
• JCT / ICE / NEC forms of contract and their differences, and the ability to manage contract administration, including contract communications, change control, variation/compensation event assessment, valuation/certification; contract remedies and contract close out.
• Construction and Case Law in relation to Claims Management, and ability to undertake analysis of claims.
• Planning and delivering cost management to meet periodic reporting cycles and ability to maintain deliverables within required timescales.
• Negotiation strategies and techniques.
• Applicable commercial regulations and legislation.
• Risk and value management and their application in developing strategies, estimates and cost plans.
• Managing complex customer and supplier relationships and expectations in a multi-million pound projects environment.
• In depth understanding of and how the following inter relate to commercial activities;
• Project management including Programme and Project Management (PPM) methods and practices to manage and resolve threats to delivery.
• Project controls.
• Planning and programming, including cost loading of programmes and calculation of SPI and CPI.
• Construction and engineering technology.
Hold, or be taking professional stage of membership of The Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors, The Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply (CIPS) or equivalent professional qualifications, or demonstrable extensive relevant experience.
Excellent benefits include:
• 30 days holiday plus public and bank holidays
• Final salary pension scheme
• Free Tube travel and travel concessions including discounted Eurostar travel
• Performance Award
• Private medical insurance
Previous applicants need not apply
To apply, please visit tfl.gov.uk/jobs ref 002779