Design Services Commissioner
Looking for a new challenge? Are you experienced at designing buildings and would like to use those skills to help Essex County Council deliver its capital programme?
Essex County Council has a 12 month term fixed contract opportunity (to cover maternity leave) within its Infrastructure Delivery Technical team.
With a pipeline of construction work over the next three years averaging £60million per annum, we are seeking an individual with design/architectural/construction knowledge, preferably school based but this is not essential. You will be part of a small dedicated multi-disciplinary team who are responsible for our Capital Programme which is delivered by the private sector.
Moving to the client side and being part of a highly motivated award winning client team is an excellent opportunity to broaden your knowledge and use your technical skills and expertise in a different environment.
The role requires a good understanding of design, a track record of collaborative working, excellent communication and negotiation skills and the ability to respond to deadlines.
The role involves:
- Performing capacity and viability studies
- Preparing employers briefs and work information packages (employer’s requirements)
- Discussing design issues with stakeholders - reviewing and commenting on design proposals/solutions submitted by consultants to maintain the Council’s standards and provide strategic advice to the schools service team
- To provide research and assistance to support the Principal Design Services Commissioner (Architect) to evolve and promote the continuous use and understanding of building design, construction strategies, policies and standards
- To assist the Principal Design Services Commissioner (Architect) to ensure that appropriate building design expertise is provided by appointed external Design Services providers
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Degree level qualification, HNC or equivalent qualification in Design, Architecture or Building Surveying related subject OR substantial relevant experience in similar role
- Access to own transport is essential due to nature of role and rural locations
- Membership of industry related professional institution is desirable.
- Experience of working within a multi-disciplinary building/design and construction environment
- Research into and promulgation of specification standards
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to promote
- Ability to assess design solutions and make value based decisions (cost benefit/value management appraisal)
- Ability to use the Microsoft Office suite of applications
- Please note that all our design work is outsourced and this position is not about designing solutions.
For an informal conversation about this role, please call Greg Keeling, Technical Team Manager, on 07827 976116.
For further information and to apply, please visit our website.
Closing date: 8 February 2017.
Interviews will be held for this role on 20th February 2017.
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.
As part of employment with Essex County Council should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS Update Service.