Senior Development Manager
Kier Property acts as a traditional Property Company with a predominantly occupier led portfolio throughout the UK with a pipeline of sites totaling c £1.5billion GDV. Its current active development programme consists of over 50 development sites throughout the UK. The business effectively hedges their risk profile through their active participation across a variety of asset classes, with industrial and commercial offices traditionally having been very strong. The strategic aim of the business is to further develop its capability across all its sectors but with a specific emphasis on mixed use projects.
The Solum JV business operates predominantly within London and the South East and has a range of active developments in major towns and cities across the region, The business focusses on mixed-use redevelopment of Network Rail owned sites and has delivered residential led mixed use schemes at Christchurch, Epsom Station and Walthamstow Central station, plus commercial led schemes at Haywards Heath station. The business has two major regeneration schemes on site at Twickenham and Walthamstow. The forward pipeline of projects is in excess of 10 years based around residential/commercial regeneration schemes including projects at Guildford, Bishop's Stortford, Redhill, Surbiton and Maidstone.
Proven track record of the full development process demonstrating successful development across a range of market sectors this including identification of investments opportunities, negotiating lease agreements / end user requirements and subsequent investment disposals.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Lead and take day to day responsibility for the teams on multiple developments covering all aspects of the development process from the identification of new development opportunities (major, multiple and complex developments delivered concurrently) through to their investment disposal. This is undertaken reporting to one of the two Development Directors and the Managing Director of the Business Unit.
- To manage, motivate and mentor team members on a day to day basis working under your direction.
- Seek new opportunities, analysing project appraisals (including guiding others working under your direction) in line with the business strategy and outlining strategies to secure opportunities identified.
- Complete Board Papers to obtain approval for projects working with the Development Director and/or Managing Director (Business Unit).
- Support presentation of projects at Investment Committee to obtain Board Approval.
- Undertake all due diligence prior to purchase ensuring development is in line with project appraisal.
- The negotiation and purchase of investments working with the Development Directors and/or Managing Director (Business Unit).
- Lead and obtain planning approval for the proposed development in-line with development appraisal assumptions.
- Deliver occupier(s) to the development to create investment value including negotiating all freehold and/or lease agreements and associated legal documentation.
- Development of close working relationship with the in-house dedicated supporting Project Manager to ensure the project is delivered on time and within budget.
- Work with the Project Manager to assemble the developments professional team - initially leading any project meetings to define investment assumptions then working with the Project Manager through design development, tendering and delivery of the construction process.
- Work closely with the finance team on opportunities and through the life of secured schemes to optimise return on cash employed and to ensure cash flow is aligned with the development appraisal and business strategy.
- Ensure the IRR is maintained and delivered to the project appraisal and business plan.
- Monitor delivery of developments working closely with the dedicated Project Manager managing risks and keeping the Senior Management team updated on key matters.
- Monitor and complete updates to appraisals and cash flows for the QR process.
- To work with the Development Director and or Managing Director of the Business Unit to market and dispose of the investment in line with the business strategy.
- Understand the importance and consider opportunities for cross selling within the Kier Group.
- To organise and lead one to one and B2B meetings to promote KPD with industry representatives to maintain a business network and where relevant the wider Kier Group.
- To participate in and lead on aspects of business improvement as required by the Senior Leadership team.
- Membership of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (MRICS) is encouraged though is not essential.
- A track record of working and negotiating directly with private and public sector clients.
- Demonstration sound commercial awareness
- Have demonstrated an ability to build and maintain a network of industry contacts A proven ability to motivate and manage both yourself and the whole team.