Commercial Manager - Partnerships - Site Based (Ferry Lane)
We are one of the UK’s leading housebuilding and construction groups. For 100 years, Galliford Try has helped to shape the world around us and today we are at the forefront of the construction industry with approximately 5,550 employees working on a huge range of housebuilding and construction projects. As a FTSE 250 listed UK business, our focus is on delivering first class business solutions and building long-term relationships with our customers, employees, supply chain and communities we work in. Our involvement in some of the UK's most high profile and innovative projects ensures our employees benefit from unrivalled opportunities and career progression.
Partnerships and Regeneration:
The Partnerships and Regeneration division is the group’s regeneration and affordable housing specialist. As a business, it is committed to increasing the supply of housing and building sustainable communities across the United Kingdom.
Not only is the Galliford Try Partnerships brand a major contractor partner for some of the largest developing housing associations, the division also acts as a developer, bringing together private and public organisations to create award-winning mixed-tenure schemes.
Partnerships and Regeneration acts as the crucial link between the Galliford Try group and the government’s Homes and Communities Agency as a lead development partner.
For the past financial year, Partnerships built 2,200 homes of all tenures, while 60% of all homes that Galliford Try delivered were defined as affordable under the government’s current definition.
The Project Surveyor will report to the Project Managing Surveyor and will be responsible for the commercial function of the prestigious residential development at Ferry Lane, Walthamstow, London. The project is a new build scheme consisting of 479 residential units for rent.
The successful applicants will be able to demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of JCT D&B contracts and possess a strong appreciation of project processes and design and risk management. Applicants will need experience of having successfully delivered schemes more than £35m.
Commercial Awareness, cost planning and the ability to carry out accurate cost / value forecasting and risk management is essential along with excellent communication and procurement skills.
Successful applicants will ideally possess a BSc in Surveying. This is a senior role and the successful candidate will have worked in a similar role for a main contractor or developer in the region.
- Prepare and manage key and large risk subcontract accounts from inception to final accounts
- Pricing and agreeing variations with the client’s representative
- Subcontract procurement strategy and implementation
- Presenting and agreeing with external valuation with Employers Representative
- Preparing monthly CVC reports for presentation to Directors
- Monitoring risk schedule and managing risk from commencement to completion
- Check and ensure compliance and issuing of timely Payment and Pay less notices to subcontractors
- Provide Contractual advice to project team
- Provide input and cost and value engineering advice throughout the design life of the scheme and attend design meetings
- Should ideally have worked at a similar level ideally within a Construction organisation for at least five years
- Demonstrable strong account management and commercial experience
- Ideally, experience of working and managing a commercial team
- Strong team player, with an entrepreneurial ability to operate and excel in a changing on site environment
- Well developed analytical, oral and presentation / communication skills
- Degree qualified preferable
In summary, the candidate must be proven in commercial and risk management on similar schemes for similar sized contractors in the region. The successful candidate will have a reputation for demonstrated integrity, maturity, and sound business judgement. They will; be totally comfortable working in and managing a team; and possess the creativity, commercial expertise, and commitment to successfully play an important role with the commercial and site teams.
They will a track record in working within a successful team which would include profit maximisation, robust financial and commercial acumen.
With an ambitious strategy, we’re poised for further growth and success, so if you’re committed, talented and enthusiastic, Galliford Try is the right place for you.
In return we offer an opportunity to work on some of the UKs most exciting construction projects, in a fast paced environment where each day brings new challenges as well as a competitive salary and benefits package.
- 28 days holiday entitlement (plus Bank Holidays)
- Childcare vouchers
- Flexible work arrangements for parents/carers
- Corporate discounts – offering a wide choice of discounted vouchers and services
- Long service awards
- Cycle to work scheme
- Save as You Earn - enables you to save on concessionary tax-free terms.
- Car/car allowance
- Bonus schemes
- Group “Stakeholder” pension plan for all salaried employees
- Private medical scheme options available for all salaried employees
- Employee assistance programme – free 24/7 lifestyle support service
- Life assurance scheme
- Sickness benefits
- Professional body membership fee paid
- Tailored training and development led by recognised industry bodies
Galliford Try is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sectors of the community