Senior Property Advisors/Surveyors
Senior Property Advisors/Surveyors (Estates Transformation Property Team)
HM Revenue & Customs
HMRC is responsible for working out and collecting the taxes and duties that 50 million people and 5 million businesses pay. Tax keeps the UK running. It pays for public services including hospitals, schools, police, transport, defence and security.
We also pay and administer Child Benefit, Tax-Free Childcare, statutory pay and tax credits. We protect our citizens, for example, through enforcing the National Minimum Wage and Living Wage. And we help keep our borders safe and ensure that trade flows smoothly in and out of the country.
We are one of the UK’s largest employers and our Estates Directorate is essential to making sure each one of our 56,000 employees have the offices they need to do their work.
The Estates Directorate is responsible for one of the largest estates transformation in Europe.
We are replacing our existing 138 small offices with 13 large and modern regional hubs and 11 specialist and transitional sites. Each of these workspaces will have in-house training and development facilities, plus high-speed digital infrastructures that will enable our staff to get more out of their career. And now you can join us as we continue to develop England’s most significant property transformation project.
There’ll be general, day-to-day challenges relating to our property portfolio to handle. However, your core focus will be on transitioning the estate into the new Regional Centres and Sites as they open their doors.
You’ll work closely with colleagues across our Estates team to ensure we’re on the right strategic path. And then you’ll get the best value for public funds, as you negotiate new leases, re-gears, extensions breaks, rent reviews, assignments, sublets and dilapidations with solicitors, landlords, local authorities and other stakeholders.
If you’re not already MRICS accredited, you’ll need to be AssocRICS or MAPM qualified – and eager to gain further accreditation within months of joining. And with that structured development and training, you’ll see this as a chance to deliver properties that mean we can efficiently and effectively administer taxes long into the future and push on in your career.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Negotiating property transactions managing both staff and external consultants towards commercial settlements.
- Providing specialist valuation, repair and dilapidation information.
- Handling all lease activity, including vacations, rent reviews, lease renewals, licences and other landlord and tenant transactions.
- Advising on appraisals relating to new projects.
- Procuring services which support property transactions.
- Preparing and presenting dispute evidence, and making professional recommendations.
- Providing business cases to support strategic decisions.
- Helping to identify and support commercial opportunities to create value.
- Managing reports, governance and approval processes for property transactions.
- Providing a customer-centric service to other government departments.
- A track record of negotiating property transactions, and ability to interpret leases and understand the underlying legal obligations.
- Working knowledge of commercial property legislation, innovations and working practices.
- Fully conversant with Government Accounting practices and ability to identify potential issues and take appropriate action.
- Proven experience across corporate business streams and government departments.
- Commercial awareness of property related transactions.
- Understanding of government estate PFI contracts, standard property leases and MOTO arrangements between Government Departments.
- Knowledge of government and departmental accounting rules and practice.
- Client or consultant experience on outsourced contracts.
As well as competitive salaries we offer a substantial benefits package, including:
- Generous annual leave and time off arrangements
- Paid maternity, paternity and adoption leave.
- Help with caring responsibilities.
- An Employee Assistance Programme.
- Community volunteering programme.
- Free regular eye testing.
- Opportunity to joining various sporting associations within the Civil Service.
We recruit on merit after fair and open selection, and we welcome applications from a diverse range of candidates.
Closing date: 31 August 2018.