Sir Robert McAlpine is a UK-based family-owned building and civil engineering company. Established in 1869, we have been a ubiquitous construction leader over two centuries. We are honoured to have worked on some of Britain's most iconic buildings and projects.
The values at the heart of our operations include a commitment to the highest standards of safety, quality, engineering excellence, sustainability, and an unswerving focus on the needs and aspirations of our clients. Our aim is to make a positive impact on the communities and the environment in which we operate.
We believe being inclusive and nurturing a diversity of talent and skills will help us to continue our rich legacy of technical excellence to proudly build Britain's future heritage.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Commercial Manager to join our Southern Region working on our newest project in Royston. The project consists of construction of a new HQ Building and research facility including extensive external works. They'll also be broad use of reinforced concrete across the 4 single storey buildings.
We're looking for someone to be a positive role model for how we should all live the company's vision and values. You'll support the business's exemplary approach to health, safety and sustainability whilst providing a clear and compelling vision of the region's business and its direction to inspire our people to deliver exceptional results and achieve their full potential. Part of this role will be delivery of the project strategies, objectives and budgets, ensuring appropriate governance and risk management is implemented. We're looking for an effective and knowledgeable leader and communicator that can relate to both internal and external staff. You'll be representing the business externally to enhance the company's reputation, standing and brand. You'll also lead the project commercial function to minimise risk, maximise opportunity, manage change, cash flow and accurate project reporting.
What experience will you need?
- Experience as a recognised business commercial leader with strong commercial awareness.
- Broad construction and ideally civil engineering industry experience covering many and various sectors and markets in senior commercial positions with industry leading contracting organisations.
- A good collaborator and communicator able to quickly build effective relationships internally and externally.
- A true team player with high attention to detail.
- Is clear thinking on business priorities and able to deal with a significant volume of many and varied business issues in a timely and effective manner.
- An ability to communicate in a number of ways effectively and efficiently with all members of staff internally and externally, with the ability to manage a team.
- Experience in successfully delivery business wide cultural change programmes.
- Can disseminate a breadth of internal and external data and apply sound judgement regarding the strategic direction of the business.
- Sound commercial knowledge of the construction industry.
- Able to develop and monitor efficient and effective processes and policies in support of the business objective and strategy.
What qualifications are essential?
The Commercial Manager will hold a minimum of one of the following qualifications in an accredited Professional Body:
- BSc Quantity Surveying/Commercial Management
- Member of the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors
- Member of Chartered Institute Of Building
- Member of Institute of Chartered Engineers
- Appropriate Professional Qualification
- Relevant Construction Skills Certificate Card
What qualifications are desirable?
- Further associated degree/masters' qualification
What's in it for you?
With an industry-leading package and exceptional training, this is your chance to develop an exciting and varied career path in a family-owned company which treats its people with courtesy and respect. We offer excellent benefits for our employees including a Contributory Pension and Life Assurance Scheme, discounted gym membership, staff discounts, 25 days holiday per year, Cycle to Work Scheme, private healthcare, childcare vouchers and an Employee Assistance Programme.
Sir Robert McAlpine Ltd is an equal opportunities employer.