Director (Healthcare, Alternative Markets & Report Writing)
Director (Healthcare, Alternative Markets & Report Writing)
Salary: Package up to £100,000 per annum (inclusive of bonus)
Hours: 37.5 per week (part time and consultancy basis considered)
Location: Aztec Centre, Aztec West, Bristol preferred but remote working will be considered within a 3-hour drive of the Carterwood office
Formed in 2008, Carterwood offers market leading advice, redefining the role of the traditional consultant by incorporating high quality data with expert sector-specialist knowledge in health & social care.
We provide solution-focused commercial due diligence as well as handling the sale and acquisition of property and businesses throughout the UK in the health & social care sector. This is across elderly specialist care and older people’s housing areas.
There is an exciting opportunity for an experienced, flexible, resourceful and intuitive individual to join our expanding team as a technical director and take on responsibility for delivering technical excellence in report preparation and delivery.
We are an adaptable, fast-paced, dynamic team and we’re looking for someone exceptional, which is why we are keen to find the right person and work around their needs. We are happy to discuss options around flexible hours, whether this is part-time, full-time, or indeed as an employee or on a consultancy basis. We have a track record of working well with both.
We’re proud to have picked up many awards over the years. These not only reflect what we do, but how we do it. Recognised for its bespoke, personal and specialist service, Carterwood was named ‘Property consultants of the year – property services’ at the prestigious HealthInvestor Awards 2016 and 2017. We were also honoured as one of the ‘Best places to work in property’, at the national Property Week awards 2018 and later in the year crowned winner of the medium business category in South Gloucestershire’s ‘happiest workplace awards.’
What the role will include
There is an exciting opportunity for a flexible, resourceful and intuitive individual to join the team and take on responsibility for delivering technical excellence in report preparation and delivery for the advisory business.
The role will comprise the following:
- Independent production of market analysis reports for proposed and existing care businesses, primarily across the elderly care and retirement sectors, but occasionally including specialist care. The baseline research is completed by our team of analysts and therefore the focus is upon interpreting and reporting the advice in written form, together with verbal feedback/client meetings, as required.
- Conducting strategic reviews of existing operational care businesses or portfolios to assist in the determination of the client’s optimum strategic direction and to enable improvement in trading performance. This may include interpreting trading accounts elements of valuation advice on an investment, freehold or leasehold basis.
- Preparation and/or overseeing of spreadsheets and reports for bespoke advice, which may include complex and detailed financial business analysis.
- Over time, innovating new reports or adapting existing report structures to meet specific client requirements and improve our reporting quality and efficiencies.
- Proofread reporting output and complex spreadsheets with a high attention to detail and providing constructive feedback to both senior and junior members of the team.
- Managing projects from inception to completion.
- The role will require travel throughout the UK, undertaking inspections and meeting clients, with a predominate focus upon London and the South East.
- Production of technical articles and bulletins to promote Carterwood’s services.
- Leading training sessions for the team.
- Preparing/overseeing bid proposals to clients.
The report types that we produce are outlined in more detail below:
Commercial due diligence
- Strategic portfolio analysis – advising clients on a whole range of issues, e.g. how to maximize sales rates for a proposed retirement community, which care homes should be sold and which should be updated, and researching new care markets;
- Comprehensive market analysis reports – extending to circa 60 to 70 pages, relating to both existing and proposed care homes and older people’s housing schemes. We do not anticipate that these reports will be a significant part of the role.
- Production of planning need assessments – to support planning applications;
- Sequential test/alternative site assessment reports – to determine that the subject site represents the most appropriate site for the proposed development.
- Target town analysis – to determine the optimum locations to meet acquisition and divestment requirements.
- Sector reviews – providing advice to clients looking to invest in a new market, e.g. OPH (older people’s housing) rental market, Northern Ireland care home market, or mental health services for specialist categories of care.
- Strategic analytics – interpreting large data sets to identify the trends and key drivers that will underpin decision making.
- Staffing and market analysis – a unique method, developed in-house, of assessing demand for nurses and care assistants across England and Wales.
- Strategic positioning – we undertake strategic reviews of portfolios in order to determine the optimal pathway to maximise value across that portfolio.
- Fees and occupancy – reviewing market analysis data to recommend any potential uplift in fee and occupancy rates.
- Benchmarking – to determine how performance can be improved at either individual service level or for a portfolio against local providers.
Many of the reports commissioned by our clients are part of a due diligence process and therefore we are required to turn around our advice quickly; typically reports are issued within 5 to 20 working days from instruction.
Candidate’s market knowledge
We would anticipate the candidate to have experience within one or more of the following areas:
- Elderly care home/older people’s housing;
- Social care expertise in other specialist care markets (physical disabilities, mental health, learning disabilities, etc.), general needs housing or planning;
- Other healthcare sectors – primary care, NHS or other related markets (e.g. children’s nurseries, special schools and educational establishments).
What other responsibilities might the role include?
- Speaking at regional and national conferences;
- Overseeing the production of research to utilise within our marketing team in order to promote Carterwood and our reporting services;
- Acting as an independent expert in relation to planning need assessments;The successful candidate will work closely with other members of the consultancy team to develop their professional knowledge and expertise, in accordance with the training programme developed by the head of operations.
- Must be able to listen to clients and colleagues and accommodate their views;
- Enjoys writing detailed reports and getting the right answer, especially for bespoke projects;
- Enthusiastic and personable, works well within a team;
- Ambitious, with a flexible approach to ensure that deadlines are met in a fast-paced working environment;
- Ability to accept constructive feedback;
- Ability to take responsibility for actions taken;
- Conscientious approach to work;
- Adaptable and keen to initiate and adapt to change;
- Ability to engage in detailed dialogue with colleagues and clients;
- Ability to delegate sensitively to colleagues;
- Ability to encourage mutual sharing of knowledge and skills;
- High level of common sense;
- Passion for detail and able to produce accurate work quickly;
- Produces high quality work even when working under pressure;Minimum of 7 to 10 years’ report writing experience, RICS qualification desirable but not essential.
- 30 days holiday per year;
- Birthday off work (discretionary);
- Pension scheme;
- Childcare vouchers;
- Free fruit at the office;
- Annual flu vaccination;
- Free eye tests;
- On-site parking;
- Discretionary bonus scheme;
- Flexible working policy;
- Summer and Christmas events;
- 1.5 hours per week leisure time;
- A commitment to wellness at work.
- HealthInvestor awards winner 2016;
- Estates Gazette awards finalist 2016;
- HealthInvestor awards winner 2017;
- LaingBuisson awards finalist 2017;
- Best Places to Work in Property Finalist 2018 – category winners for Leadership & Planning and Relationship with Supervisor awards;
- HealthInvestor awards finalist 2018;
- 2018 South Gloucestershire Happiest Workplace Medium Business winner.
Are you interested?
If this role has caught your eye and you would like to find out more about this position, then we’d love to hear from you. Please call us for an informal discussion on 08458 690777 or email firstname.lastname@example.org, providing us with your details and the best time to contact you.
Carterwood is committed to equality of opportunity in employment and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified candidates irrespective of gender, marital or family status, religious belief, political opinion, disability, age, race, nationality or sexual orientation. All applications for employment will be considered on the basis of merit.