Housing Client & Development Manager
1 day left
- Full Time
Housing Client & Development Manager
Grade M - £41,786-£50,128
Truro, Pydar House
You will have responsibility for the Housing Client & Delivery section of the Housing Delivery & Development Team. These officers have responsibility for delivering and commissioning all of the Council’s housing construction and development programmes, including through:
- The Housing Development Programme (HDP);
- Housing Revenue Account (HRA) - including Estate Regeneration;
- The Cornwall Land Initiative (CLI); and,
- Self-delivered Extra Care projects.
You will be responsible for building and maintaining relationships with a range of partners to achieve the corporate objectives on the delivery of homes. Typically, this involves working with landowners, developers, contractors and Registered Providers to unlock Cornwall’s ability to deliver homes of all tenures.
You will be responsible for all matters relating to the Council’s direct and commissioned development of homes. You will also play a pivotal role in supporting the political direction of the Council, and lead the Service’s work with committees and Cabinet/Full Council with regards to direct development. You will support the Planning Service with ensuring growth targets are achieved, as well as supporting other Housing Service objectives.
You will support the Authority’s interventionist approach in the housing market, with a particular emphasis on increasing the quality and quantity of housing output in Cornwall. This will be achieved by:
- Identifying stalled sites (and opportunities to unlock such schemes);
- Opportunities to secure internal and external funding
- Identifying opportunities for direct delivery of homes through the HRA/HDP/CLI/Extra Care programmes;
- Influencing the direction of the Council and Strategic Partnerships, with an emphasis on growth in appropriate locations.
You will also be charged with delivering strategic & investment priorities for the Council. This may involve developing innovative delivery solutions; development and delivery of financing mechanisms, tenures and policy. You will also be tasked with maximising revenue and capital income from a scheme (including managing our Investment Partner status with Homes England to maximise opportunities for government investment), a pipeline of development opportunities and maximising the financial return generated by development schemes of all tenures.
Cornwall Council believes that the provision of high quality of housing, of all tenures, is essential to the long term sustainability of the Duchy.
Providing homes to meet the local need has been a top priority for the Council, since its creation in 2009. Recently however, the Council has decided to take a more active role in the overall growth ambition by setting an ambitious target to directly provide 1,000 new homes, including affordable and open market housing, through a range of development programmes, by March 2022.
Significant resources have been committed to achieve this, including:
- a rolling 3-year investment programme of at least £14.64m, to fund new affordable housing delivery through local Registered Provider partners;
- loan and grant funding for community-led housing organisations;
- commercial development partnerships with major/national house-builders to bring forward under-used public land for re-development;
- the creation of two new ‘council housing’ development programmes totalling some £65m, within the Housing Revenue Account (HRA);
- the direct development of new extra care housing schemes in key locations;
- establishing a major new Housing Development Programme of some £200m, which will see the Council providing at least 1,000 new affordable, private rent, and open market sale homes; and,
- creation of a new wholly-owned development company that can help us deliver the homes we need throughout Cornwall.
To achieve such an ambitious programme of growth, we need to recruit additional people to help us deliver new homes. These new roles will join with our existing and highly-skilled team of Affordable Housing officers, to create a new Housing Delivery & Development Team. This combined group of officers will allow us to realise our development potential by commissioning and developing homes of all tenures, and for all programmes. The team will also build partnerships with a range of stakeholders (such as developers, landowners, communities and Registered Providers) to ensure that opportunities for growth are maximised - to help us meet the housing needs of our communities. We also have a number of other vacancies available.
What can we offer?
As one of the largest Local Authorities in the UK, we offer a range of benefits for prospective employees. We are also keen to provide opportunities for career progression and training, and offer an excellent pension scheme. For more information on these benefits, please have a look at what we offer.
If you are interested in joining us on our journey, then we want to hear from you!!!
If you are interested in this role please use the 'Apply' button.
Closing Date:17th February 2019
Interview Date:1st March 2019