Permanent Joint Operating Bases Area Manager in South Atlantic Islands
The Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO) Regional Delivery Overseas is offering a unique opportunity to work in high tempo environments, delivering professional and effective contract services and support to our diverse customer teams across British Forces South Atlantic Islands.
The Area Manager position is responsible to the Deputy Head Permanent Joint Operating Bases and Far East Overseas for the delivery of hard and soft facilities management (FM) services across South Atlantic Islands (including Ascension Island) within a joint services environment.
This is a challenging post which brings an opportunity to deliver high profile works on a busy and complex overseas estate which is unique within the MOD.
Spanning 4000 miles of the South Atlantic, from Ascension Island to the Falkland Islands, it will involve the operation and maintenance of a small township including all its utility provision 8000 miles from the UK, as well as the sustainment of the isolated staging post on Ascension Island 4000 miles to the North. Working within a challenging environment and delivering to a senior customer embedded within a joint service team, there are endless developmental and career enhancing opportunities.
A variety of on-going projects include: Power Station Replacement, Fuels Infrastructure Recovery Program, Remote Radar Head Accommodation Replacement, Recycling Centre construction, road works and potential estates rationalisation/accommodation upgrades.
Management of a team of approximately 16 personnel with a mixture of UK Based Civilians, Military and Locally Employed Civilian staff. Direct line manager for 1 x C1 and 1 x OF4.
1. Represent DIO at the 1* / senior customer level, supporting command capability though the delivery of contracted outputs and funded works programmes.
2. Working in collaboration with our industry Service Partners to deliver continuous improvement and excellence in service delivery.
3. Lead and manage the estate Maintain and Sustain planning, through IMS when/where enabled; Delivery of delegated budgets: Annual CDEL (Capital Dept Expenditure Limit) programme including S2S (Spend to Save) Programme, RDEL (Resource Dept Expenditure Limit) programme, CMAC (Soft FM) programme and various in-year injects; provide support where appropriate to MPP (new projects). Maintain control of annual budget and forecasts, effectively managing budgets at the lowest level in the organisation; provide Monthly reports against delivery and updated forecasts, including risks and maintaining financial and commercial probity.
4. Delivery of delegated budgets to ensure projected consumption in year is achieved and CT’s are not breached maintaining financial and commercial probity.
5. Oversight of the planned PPM (preventative maintenance programme) to assure that the estate is being maintained to the correct statutory and mandatory requirements.
6. Provision of advice and support the customer on all estate matters, including future plans and strategies. Supporting visits including senior staffs and up to ministerial level.
7. Attend the Commanders weekly briefs, Command Boards and other meetings when necessary. Provide Reporting officer function for Military staffs.
8. Develop the improving relationship with Falkland Islands Government and Ascension Island Government, maximising collaborative opportunities, and supporting the Commander’s directive in regard to island community and capability development.
Some of the benefits with this role include:
• Accommodation at Mount Pleasant Complex (MPC) will be allocated for all continuity posts, married accompanied personnel will be entitled to housing and single unaccompanied will be provided within the Officers Mess (all accommodation and utilities are free of charge)
• School provision (primary at MPC and secondary available in Stanley)
• Professional and Personal Development of skills
• Flexi-time scheme upon completion of 6 months service
• Alternative working practices
• Highly competitive pension scheme
• This post also comes with an additional Difficult Posting Allowance and Cost of Living Allowance (COLA variable on individual circumstances)
• Cost of Living Overseas Allowances is payable based on personal circumstances and marital status.
Please be advised that the Department is conducting a review of all pay related allowances which could impact on those allowances that the post currently being advertised attracts.
Subject to eligibility the post offers full relocation expenses to the successful candidate.