We are seeking a motivated and suitably qualified Quantity Surveyor (QS) to join and lead an established team within our Infrastructure Optimisation (IO) Team. As a customer focused and experienced QS professional and team leader; you will deliver challenging and varied estate surveying programmes, services and subject matter expert advice across all customers.
The role requires strategic cost modelling and QS advice with engagement of Local Authorities Front Line Commands as well as Head Office and wider Government, initially focusing on Providing advice, support and guidance to Defence Estate Optimisation (DEO) colleagues on QS related issues. Ensure adherence and conformance to agreed processes and operating procedures, particularly those relating to the key infrastructure processes of cost benchmarking, cost monitoring and value for money assurance. Support resolution of commercial disputes, provide cost estimate support for major contract changes or programmes, and drive continuous improvement in Industry Partner (IP) procurement.
The main responsibilities of the role will include the below;
- Input to budgetary estimates
- Investment Appraisals or Option Study cost estimates
- Input to a Through Life Cost (TLC) model
- Cost information for estimating, benchmarking and monitoring purposes
- Input to the evaluation and negotiation of Tenders, Contract Changes and Compensation
- Oversee the development of value for money propositions – preparation of the cases showing advantages and disadvantages and costs and savings associated with various courses of action and then recommending a course of action that provides a good defence solution and value for money.
- Promote better utilisation of defence sites and buildings including
Infrastructure Planning for Operation Capability;
- Provide input and influence for infrastructure change programmes, through understanding defence outputs and objectives – keeping current with defence plans including changes to the way the services may operate future capabilities, new equipment, new training and other defence change initiatives.
- Lead on liaison with external parties as required including other government departments.
Strategic Asset Management;
- Ensure coherence across defence and estate planning through collaborative working and managing the dependencies between strategic estate and other initiatives.
- Provide advice to customers on the potential planning, valuation and other property management issues that would need to be taken into account in weighing up options.
Strategy and Policy Development;
- Take a lead in the development of wider MOD estate/accommodation policy and strategy initiatives.
Reporting and Data Management;
- Manage data gathering and analysis – work with DIO colleagues, customers and consultants as appropriate to identify, gather and analyse data.
- Estate strategy scenario modelling
- Lead /attend strategy meetings and programme boards.
- Lead on collaborative work with other Government bodies including the Cabinet Office in relation to wider government property management and targets
We are passionate about delivering great things for our customers. But we also know you will have a life outside of work; we respect your priorities and our industry leading flexible working practices will give you real freedom to balance work and life.
We employ talented people who challenge and guide each other. At DIO you will work within a highly capable team who will support you to develop your skills, knowledge and experience.
Further main benefits include:
- Professional and Personal Development of skills
- Flexi-time scheme upon completion of 6 months service
- Alternative working practices
- 25 days paid annual leave rising (1 day per year) to 30 days upon completion of 5 years’ service
- In addition to 8 public holidays per year you will also receive leave for HM The Queen’s birthday
- Special Paid Leave to volunteer up to 6 days a year.
- Enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption leave.
- Highly competitive pension scheme
- Most sites have good travel links with free car parking; many also have other facilities such as a Gym and / or site shops