Principal Property Surveyor
Thanet District Council Main Office
Principal Property Surveyor
Head of Service
Politically Restricted Post
CRB Requirement I No
The council has an extensive corporate portfolio including investment, operational, civic and community assets. As a senior member of the asset management team this role will be the principal advisor to the HOS on ways to deliver maximum value from the portfolio. The Principle surveyor will lead a team of a disposals & acquisition surveyor, a management surveyor and a technical assistant towards achieving agreed outcomes.
As a RICS Registered Valuer you will lead the annual capital valuation (outsourced) and appoint market valuations and development appraisals as directed.
- Principal advisor to the council on landlord and tenant and valuation methods, undertaking routine valuations but with the breadth or requirements also procuring external valuations when required, using public sector policies, ensuring the annual valuation is produced for the accounting period.
- Ensuring comparative data used for rent reviews and lease renewals is current ensuring records are maintained and managed through the technical assistant.
- Leading and managing the estates surveying team, communicating priorities, holding regular meetings to review workloads, give professional landlord and tenant advice and instruction, supporting the team to fulfil their objectives and meet corporate goals.
- Analysis of the tenancy schedule, working in collaboration with the team and HOS to identify risks and opportunities for disposal, redevelopment and increase income where relevant, making recommendations and reporting to senior members of staff and Members as directed.
- Preparation and submission of Cabinet Reports, attending meetings if required.
- Support the HOS with the technical expertise to produce and maintain current policies that reflect statute and council policy, including the asset strategy, community asset transfer and disposal process.
- Raise awareness of the Service, conduct training and presentations for officers and members on the laws surrounding disposal, policies and processes.
Good understanding and application of RICS and CIPFA valuation principles and methodology.
Extensive knowledge of commercial property landlord and tenant statute, ensuring key notice periods and prescribed format for serving notices adhered to.
Knowledge of working within a commercial property environment, liaising between legal and other teams to achieve targets.
Knowledge of laws that govern public sector including disposal and MEEP regulations.
Knowledge of political processes and governance of local government.
Knowledge of asset disposal and acquisition processes.
Exceptional communication and time management skills. Experience at drafting senior level reports.
Ability to collate, analyse and interpret information using results to advise on property investment policy.
Experience of working at a senior level in a commercial or corporate property environment for at least 10 years.
Thorough understanding and of valuation methodology and application of market valuation including rent reviews and lease renewals.
Extensive experience of retail, leisure and industrial portfolios including mixed used.
Experience of line management
General level qualifications in Maths and English, Advanced level qualifications and Degree level qualification in a relevant commercial property discipline.
Member of RICS and ideally RICS registered valuer Evidence of Continued Professional Development
WORKING ENVIRONMENT CONTEXT
The job holder is required to have a valid driving licence and at times use of a vehicle.
Please submit your CV and cover letter using the application form below.