Job Title: Maintenance Surveyor
Department: Works Department
Reporting To: Head of Works
Responsible For: Managing the Programme of Planned Maintenance Works (PPM Works) and Defect Diagnosis
Background to the Role
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Maintenance Surveyor to join the Works Department at Cowdray. This progressive family owned rural estate is located at the heart of the South Downs National Park, employing over two hundred staff.
The Estate is steeped in history and heritage. It contains the ruins of one of England most important early Tudor Houses and is the home of British Polo. There is also an award-winning Farm Shop & Café, a championship Golf Course, Holiday Accommodation, Wellbeing Centre and Cowdray House, a luxury event venue which sit alongside the more traditional estate activities including farming, forestry and property management.
The Works Department are a 30 strong team responsible for undertaking and overseeing maintenance, refurbishment and construction works to The Estates property portfolio. The successful candidate will be responsible for overseeing the annual PPM Works to the let property portfolio, together with diagnosing defects to a wide variety of property across the whole Estate. The diverse nature of this role requires the candidate to hold a degree level construction related qualification, together with a minimum of five years’ experience in the building/construction industry.
This is an excellent opportunity for someone who wants to join a dynamic and forward thinking rural estate to maintain the built property at its core.
- To be 100% responsible for the PPM Works.
- To ensure that the PPM Works are completed to an exceptional standard of workmanship, in accordance with the agreed programme and in accordance with the agreed budget.
- To produce and issue specifications/tender documents, advise on contractor selection, analyse tenders and make recommendations for instruction.
- To consider the appropriate contract for the project and to ensure that contracts are completed prior to commencement.
- To administer the contract, carrying out regular site inspections, undertaking interim valuations & certifying payments, snagging, preparing schedules of defects and certifying rectification of snagging items.
- To produce and maintain accurate records and appropriate certificates relevant to the PPM Works.
- To ensure that all statutory consents are obtained and implemented for the PPM Works.
- To monitor the progress of the PPM Works against the agreed programme/ budget/schedule of works and to report any slippage/variations to the Head of Works.
- To ensure the PPM Works are in full compliance with the CDM Regulations.
- To review Construction Phase Plans and RAMS as necessary produced by contractors undertaking the PPM Works.
- To diagnose defects as they are identified/reported to The Works Department and to produce a brief report outlining the cause of the problem and the recommended remedial works.
- To specify and cost up the necessary remedial works required to resolve reported defects.
- To provide monthly reports for the Head of Works detailing the progress of the PPM Works over the previous month.
- To attend Management Team meetings as and when requested by the Head of Works or the CEO.
- To deliver excellent customer service, quality of work, high standards and professionalism.
- To build and maintain effective and collaborative working relationships with colleagues and other departments across the Estate.
- To keep up to date with all legislation, regulation and technical developments regarding building construction.
- To observe the requirements of the Health & Safety at Work Acts and ensure the safety of self and work colleagues by carrying out duties in a safe manner within the guidelines as set out by the Act.
- To assist in the creation and implementation of standard template documents for use by The Works Department relative to Specifications, Tendering, Contract Administration, Defect Reporting etc. and to make suggestions as to how the documentation/processes could potentially be improved.
- To carry out any other reasonable duties as directed from time to time by the Head of Works or the CEO.
Areas of Responsibility
- To oversee all aspects of the PPM Works for the residential property portfolio across the Estate.
- To undertake specific defect inspections to all residential, commercial and operational properties across the Estate as directed by the Works Manager or the Head of Works.
- Any other specific Maintenance Works, Construction Projects or Works Department Activity identified by the Head of Works.
- Must hold a degree in Building Surveying or an equivalent construction related qualification e.g. Quantity Surveying, Construction Management, Architecture etc.
- Must have a minimum of five years’ experience in the building/construction industry.
- Must possess proven experience of defect analysis, preparing schedules/specifications for minor building works and contract managing on site works.
- Must be able to demonstrate experience of successful project and budget management.
- Must be able to demonstrate a knowledge of statutory and industry compliance requirements, including Planning, Building Regulations, Listed Building Consent and Health and Safety Legislation.
- Must be able to demonstrate knowledge and experience of working with historic buildings.
- Must have excellent communication, IT and organisational skills.
- Must be willing to play a key role within the Estate and its wider community.
- Must have a full clean driving licence and use of a vehicle.
- To hold full membership of a recognised professional body e.g. RICS, CIOB, RIBA, IHBC etc.
- To hold a Project Management Qualification.
- To demonstrate experience in estimating the cost of works.
- To demonstrate experience of undertaking extension/refurbishment projects to all types of properties.
- To demonstrate knowledge of specialist computer software such as AutoCAD, MS Project etc.
- Salary Band £30,000 to £40,000 per annum dependent on skills and experience
- Enhanced Pension
- The Cowdray Estate offers a comprehensive wellbeing programme
- Discount card for our award winning Farm Shop and Café
- Death in Service benefit
- Calendar of social events to be enjoyed throughout the year
This is a permanent, full time role.
If you have any questions, or to apply for the role, please send your covering letter and CV to our HR Manager, Harriet Connolly using the application form below.