Assistant Building Surveyor
POSITION: Assistant Building Surveyor
RESPONSIBLE TO: Head of Property
SALARY RANGE: £25,000 – £30,000 (DoE)
OBJECTIVES OF THE POST
- To specify and manage the Association’s voids with the Head of Property (HoP)
- To liaise with the HoP to ensure the Association’s stock is maintained to the highest possible standard and complies with legislative requirements within agreed budgetary levels
- To ensure the responsive repairs service provided meet the agreed standards of service delivery
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Daily responsibilities for the successful Assistant Surveyor will include:
- Completing detailed site surveys and reports as necessary
- Reporting and identifying defects, producing repair/replacement proposals.
- Carrying out routine inspections of properties
- Undertaking pre/post & spot inspections of works
- Providing appropriate advice on HSE.
- Undertaking Stock Condition Surveys and updating associated records
- Provide a responsive inspection service with detailed follow up reports including clear recommendations.
- Ensure that works are instructed and authorised in accordance with the Association’s agreed procedures.
- Maintain the necessary relevant Association records and systems - e.g. enter completed data and raise accurate orders, via the Association’s software to the relevant contractor
- Assist with raising Purchase Orders (PO’s) for (in-house) Maintenance Team and External Contractors via repairs system
- Work closely with stakeholders in order to manage expectations regarding repair response times, whilst ensuring maintenance team/external contractors maintain apointmets and do not “cold call”
- Assist HoP in identifying improvements in all areas of service delivery. Assist with the drafting and implementation of procedures in order to standardise tasks.
- Prepare specifications in accordance with the basic lettable standard, obtain quotations for major void works and post inspect works, recommend final accounts for payments.
- Prepare specifications in accordance with basic lettable standard for minor void works.Work with R&M Supervisor to agree suitable resource to undertake works. Pre/spot & post inspect works as necessary
- Ensure that the works are instructed and authorised in accordance with the Association’s procedures.
- Liaise with stakeholders to ensure that agreed turnaround times for void property works are met.
- Ensure relevant management records are maintained, in order to ensure voids agreed KPI’s are achieved.
- Assist the HoP in identifying improvements in all areas of service delivery. Assist with the drafting and implementation of void procedures in order to standardise tasks.
- Comply with all legal and statutory regulations associated with Health and Safety.
- Ensure all contracts/agreements are complied with
- Maintain robust monitoring systems in and provide monthly performance information in keeping with the relevant KPIs:
- Tenants’ satisfaction
- Gas servicing
- Support R&M HoP to ensure best Value for Money (VfM) is achieved. Ensure works and order values are monitored, maintaining records to ensure that ONLY authorised variations are undertaken, where applicable PO’s are updated to illustrate APPROVED variations.
- Assist HoP with internal audits of data held, in order to ensure all records and supporting documents are up to date and stored in suitable location
- Ensure that the list of approved contractors for maintenance services is kept up to date in relation to all of the Association’s requirements
- Carry out pre-inspections and raise any necessary follow on remedial work that needs to be completed within a specified timeframe
- Carry out spot inspections ensuring personnel on site are wearing apprpiate PPE, undertaking works to the approporiate standard and are progressing as anticipated – raising concerns as necessary in a timely manner to ensure early intervention is taken where necessary
- To carry out post-inspections ensuring all completed work matches the raised works order and that the quality of work, value for money and service delivered meets the Association’s standards
- Get customer feedback on any works completed, ensure this is recorded and where necessary feedback is followed up and brought to the HoP’s attention
- Comply with the Association’s Health and Safety Policy at all times, reporting any hazards or accidents to HoP or another appropriate manager immediately and to take all appropriate and necessary action when needed
- Comply with all the Association’s policies, procedures, financial regulations and standing orders
- Regularly update records and files on any risks associated to the role and responsibilities of the post
- Support the development of new staff within the organisation to enable them to learn about repairs and compliance duties
- Provide an excellent service to all customers that contact the Association either by personal visit, phone call or email and to help foster good landlord/ tenant relationships, including working with Tenant Involvement Committee
- Liaise with senior management in advising, guiding and supporting the work of the service area and prepare all appropriate documentation and briefing papers to update the SMT.
- To promote the image of the Association by ensuring a high standard of presentation for all internal and external reports, briefing papers and other documents when writing and providing information to internal and external stakeholders, clients, users and staff
- Contribute to the team's performance and customer service delivery whilst operating in line with Association’s values
- Ensure the organisations GDPR policy is followed at all times by all stakeholders
- To ensure that confidential matters remain confidential and to maintain files of confidential and high value documents in a secure location, maintain a clear desk policy at all times
- To provide cover for other staff members carrying out maintenance service roles within the Association as required
- Comply with the Association’s Code of Conduct at all times and to act at all times in a manner that is courteous and polite towards others
- To dress appropriately for role and comply with the organisations Dress Code at all times
- Actively promote the organisation’s equality and diversity policies
- To comply with the organisation’s Health and Safety Policy and procedures
- Carry out any other reasonable duties to deliver great service.
PERSON SPECIFICATION (Desirable & Essential)
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Thorough knowledge of building maintenance and diagnostic techniques
- Excellent IT skills and proficient in use of Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook
- Able to review documents, in relation to activities of the Association
- Excellent interpersonal skills, able to communicate well with a range of people
- Able to respect diversity and assist in promoting equality of opportunity
- Excellent time management and organisational skills
- An understanding of health and safety legislation
- Equivalent to at least 5 GCSE grades A-C
- Building related qualification or other relevant housing qualification
- Previous experience of working in a similar role
- Previous experience in taking a co-ordinating role in property services management functions
- Experience of using a range of dedicated IT programmes & Housing Systems
- Experience of working in a pressurised environment, utilising tact, judgement and discretion in handling internal and external contacts
- Experience of working with and sensitively responding to external professionals such as contractors, consultants and service providers
- Assisting the HoP collating information, reports and data and providing information services or similar experience
- Commitment to delighting our customers
- Able to maintain confidentiality at all times
- To take the initiative, develop new ideas and improve the quality of service delivery
- Can do attitude
- An excellent team player
- To be owner/driver of vehicle
Please submit your CV and cover letter using the application form below.