Senior Quantity Surveyor
Responsible for all commercial functions of the contracts allocated, issuing contractual notices and communications both up and down stream, reporting monthly against budgets, ensuring subcontractors are paid at the appropriate times. Prepare & submit external valuations where appropriate on regular basis to ensure Mears Group receive full payment for works. Meet and/or exceed budgets/targets set at the commencement of the project.
- Liaises with Preconstruction to receive full contract documentation.
- Generally ensure that all matters in relation to the tender are understood, including contract terms and conditions and payment terms.
- Procure subcontractors in line with agreed Procurement Strategies for each project.
- Prepare subcontract documentation as necessary and in accordance with established procedures and utilising appropriate forms.
- Measure subcontractors work where appropriate, maintaining proper records, marked up drawings etc., issue payment notices and/or payless notices and complete payment certificates in accordance with the pre-agreed payment terms, liaising with Site Manager and/or Contracts Manager with regard to quality of work, programme, daywork etc.
- Ensure no Subcontractor commences onsite without having an agreed signed and executed Subcontract order, the necessary insurance, tax certificates; VAT information and that the subcontract is retuned prior to start on site.
- Prepare and agree Subcontract final accounts at the earliest opportunity.
- Release retentions as appropriate but subject to the approval of the Managing Surveyor & Head of Operations.
- Fully monitor all costs for each project including but not limited to preliminaries, plant, subcontract and materials.
- Prior to commencing works on site prepare Target Preliminaries Budget with the Contracts Manager for presentation to and subsequent agreement with the Managing Surveyor and Head of Operations. After agreement of the preliminary budget, present to the site team so that they are fully aware of prelim allocations.
- Liaise with accounts department in respect to cost accruals.
- Prepare monthly cost value reconciliations (CVC) making provision for all know costs in the anticipated forecast. Agree with the Managing Surveyor and Head of Operations as to extent of the CVC provisions.
- Liaise with Supply Chain Manager in respect to all material and plant reconciliations and ordering.
- Prepare and deliver collateral warranties, guarantees and other contractual undertakings required under the main contract or any subcontract.
- Ensures that a current CVC is presented at regular monthly reviews for each project
- Prepares cashflow / turnover forecast/projections and update on a monthly basis.
- On appropriate projects prepare and agree monthly applications for payment in liaison with client representative and include projected final account figures with submission
- As the project progresses, value and agree any variations or sales extras.
- On completion of project prepare and agree draft final account for approval within 3 months of Practical Completion.
- Monitor any non-receipt of payments from Client and inform Head of Commercial.
- Ensure that all operational staff in particular the Contracts Manager is kept informed of the financial position in respect to cost and value of each project
- Provide a commercial / financial service in respect to operational decisions throughout the project.
- Prepare with the Contracts Manager any contractual correspondence or claims where appropriate, liaising closely with the Managing Surveyor.
- Attend regular internal / external project meetings (Design, Project Reviews, and Client Project Reviews etc.)
- Organise / Chair pre-order meetings (discussion notes) with subcontractors.
- Develop a harmonious relationship with operational management to ensure maximum communication and co-operation.
Skills, Experience & Qualifications
- Minimum 5 years of contracting experience, 10years experience overall
- Is / has worked at Senior Surveyor level before
- Commercial acumen
- Very high level of Excel skill
- Understanding of forms of Contracts (JCT, PPC etc.)
- Professionally qualified
- From a commercial background
- Has a broad knowledge of the construction process to such an extent they procure both materials & subcontractor alike.
Strong interpersonal skills that enable the person to communicate effectively with all in the business as well as the customers, designers and other third parties involved in the construction process.
Managing Director, Head of Operations, Managing Surveyor, Project Managers, Surveyors, Supply Chain Managers, Group Purchasing Director.
Reports to: Managing Surveyor
Please click on the Apply button at the top or the bottom of this page to start the application process