General Practice Chartered Surveyor
APCL is a rapidly expanding firm of commercial property consultants and chartered surveyors who are seeking to recruit staff who value involvement in a diverse mix of projects and tasks. We have offices in Whitstable, Kent, and Banbury, Oxfordshire.
The company currently specialises in the following:
• Commercial Real Estate Asset management - currently managing circa £60m of commercial property. We plan to grow this to over £100m in the next 3 years
• Residential Block management
• Commercial property management
• Commercial agency
• Commercial and residential development
• Property acquisition & disposal
• Commercial rent reviews, new leases, renewals.
We manage over 400 tenancies and have acquired nearly £20m of property on behalf of clients during the last 12 months.
We are looking for a dynamic, enthusiastic general practice chartered surveyor to join the team and facilitate the next phase of our growth. If not already a director, we would like to see the individual as director within 12 to 24 months of joining.
We promote flexible working and believe in giving the maximum autonomy where possible. The role requires a self-motivated person, happy to work independently and as part of our team.
We have deployed the use of cloud based software and teleconferencing services to enable the team to collaborate with each other wherever they may be based.
Job Title: Head of General Practice Surveying Services
Function: Commercial property management, asset management and professional services
Responsible to: Managing director
Salary: Commensurate with experience
To manage the property management team and actively oversee the management of the properties on behalf of our clients in accordance with their mandate or agreed asset management strategy. This will include offering advice on acquisitions, disposals and where appropriate developments.
To provide professional commercial property surveying services. This will include rent reviews, lease renewals, lease re-qears, new lease, dilapidations, determinations, rating advice etc within competency and where outside competency, to outsource these services to others and act as client liaison.
To ensure that all activities comply with the relevant RICS guidelines, procedures and controls. This will include the implementation and maintenance of appropriate financial controls, reporting systems and records are maintained. In addition, they will be required to implement and maintain systems which monitor and report on the performance of properties under management.
Provide regular feedback in the form of formal property reports to clients, the Board of Directors and key stakeholders.
To manage property developments by engaging various parties required to enable the development to occur.
It is expected that the job will entail being the responsible person under the RICS rules for keeping procedures up to date such as anti-money laundering and anti- bribery compliance etc.
- Negotiating rent reviews, lease renewals and lease re-gears acting on behalf of both landlords and tenants. From initial discussions and fee proposals with clients through to completion.
- Negotiating agreements for lease and new lettings; working with local joint agents and in-house agents on new lettings and securing the best deal for clients.
- Managing property development projects – procuring and liaising with project managers, architects etc; assisting with the tender process; overseeing the development on behalf of the client from beginning to end; working with parties to obtain planning permission, building regulations sign off etc.
- Asset management – actively seeking to improve rents, capital values, WAULTs etc; building strong relationships with tenants; portfolio management.
- Property management - being the principal contact between landlord and tenant for lease extensions, assignment, sub-leasing and alterations; undertaking regular property inspections and measurements; dealing with complex management issues such as utilities, repair notices, lease compliance.
- Responsible for managing the property management team and liaising with accounts department.
- Valuation work –for internal clients only (non-red book compliant) and arranging for external red-book compliant valuations where necessary.
- Searching for potential properties on behalf of investment clients and occupiers.
- Due diligence; reviewing leases and other purchase documentation.
- Undertaking AML and KYC checks, complying with RICS Professional and Ethical Standards and other RICS Professional Statements and Guidance.
- Carrying out an annually inspection for every estate under management and producing a post inspection report.
- Attend and chair leaseholder meetings where necessary.
APCL is part of a group of companies. The role many involve working for any one of the group companies including those in the Greenstone and Alandy groups.
As a small team we have to cover each other’s roles during holiday periods and the like.
It is hoped the successful candidate will have come from a management, asset management, valuation or professional services background. Although other experience will be considered.
They will have experience in negotiating commercial rent reviews and lease renewals.
They will have had some experience producing valuations.
They will be conversant with commercial leases and feel comfortable interpreting leases.
They will have at least 5 years experience working as a chartered surveyor.
An excellent communicator, clear thinker and IT literate.
Ability to work in a fast moving environment providing accurate and timely information to a high standard.
Self-motivated and able to work independently. Knowledge of property management software – preferably Propman.
Good ability to use MS Word and Excel.
Able to produce and publish short video clips of properties.
Full driving licence and have use of a presentable reliable car with hands-free phone kit.
Aptitude to operate a drone – training will be given if necessary.
A working knowledge of block management legislation.
Knowledge of the Land Registry portal
Knowledge of EGi or Co-Star systems
A recognised full professional surveying qualification (or their international equivalent) for example: RICS, ARLA, ARMA or others
Degree level qualification
Thorough practical understanding of commercial leases.
Good IT skills fully conversant with spreadsheets– in particular Microsoft Office
Able to utilise MS Office tools to produce reports and analyse data.
Understanding of RICS codes of conduct where appropriate
Proven negotiating skills with respect to commercial property management.
Presents information effectively to small audiences
Uses constructive criticism in feedback
Encourages and supports an environment of openness and honesty
Inspires individuals to take responsibility
Promotes an improvement culture through encouraging others’ suggestions and being open to feedback.
The post is advertised as full time.
Appointment will be subject to a six-month probationary period.
Place of work is currently 1 Oxford Street, Whitstable, Kent However we offer flexible working arrangements and if you wish you to you could work from home with a requirement to work from the offices twice a week.
Travel will be required as part of the role and this will require overnight stays in hotels. This may also involve occasional overseas journeys.
No person shall be treated less favourably than another on the grounds of sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, ethic or national origin, religion, colour, age or disability. As an equal opportunities employer, applicants for staff vacancies shall be short listed for interview and appointed purely on the grounds of their suitability for the post as laid out in the advertised job description.
The company operates a no smoking policy in its offices.
The salary band for the role is negotiable depending on skills and experience. Salaries are reviewed once a year. There is usually an annual discretionary bonus of 10% of basic salary.
A company credit card is provided for company expenses only on the basis that an expenses sheet is submitted monthly in a timely manner.
Mileage is paid at HMRC rates published from time to time.
The company will supply a computer and mobile phone on contract for company use only.
The company adheres to the automatic enrolment pension scheme, meaning you will be automatically enrolled into a pension scheme if you meet the criteria. Details will be given on acceptance of the job offer.
Please apply for this role by filling in the form below and uploading CV and cover letter.