Job Title: Building Surveyor
Salary: £30,000 to £40,000 per annum
Job Type: Full Time, Permanent
Department: Works Department
Reporting To: Head of Works
Responsible For: Managing the Programme of Planned Maintenance Works (PPM Works) and Defect Diagnosis
Background to the Role
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Building Surveyor to join the Works Department at Cowdray. This progressive family owned rural estate is located at the heart of the South Downs National Park, employing over two hundred staff.
The Estate is steeped in history and heritage. It contains the ruins of one of England’s most important early Tudor Houses and is the home of British Polo. There is also an award-winning Farm Shop & Café, a championship Golf Course, Holiday Accommodation, Wellbeing Centre and Cowdray House, a luxury event venue which sit alongside the more traditional estate activities including farming, forestry and property management.
The Works Department are a 30 strong team responsible for undertaking and overseeing maintenance, refurbishment and construction works to The Estates extensive property portfolio. The successful candidate will be responsible for overseeing maintenance and refurbishment works to the let property portfolio, together with diagnosing defects to a wide variety of property across the whole Estate.
This is an excellent opportunity for someone who wants to join a dynamic, diverse and forward thinking rural estate to maintain the built property at its core.
- To be 100% responsible for the PPM Works ensuring that they are completed to an exceptional standard of workmanship, in accordance with the agreed programme and budget.
- To produce and issue specifications/tender documents, advise on contractor selection, analyse tenders and make recommendations for instruction.
- To administer the contract, carrying out regular site inspections, undertaking interim valuations & certifying payments, snagging, preparing schedules of defects and certifying rectification of snagging items.
- To ensure that all statutory consents are obtained and implemented.
- To ensure the works are in full compliance with the CDM Regulations.
- To diagnose defects and to specify and budget cost the recommended remedial works.
- To deliver excellent customer service, quality of work, high standards and professionalism.
Areas of Responsibility
- To oversee all aspects of the PPM Works for the residential property portfolio across the Estate.
- To undertake specific defect inspections to all residential, commercial and operational properties across the Estate.
- Any other specific Maintenance Works, Construction Projects or Works Department Activity identified by the Head of Works.
- Must hold a degree in Building Surveying or an equivalent construction related degree.
- Must have a minimum of three years’ client facing experience in the building/construction industry in a surveying related capacity.
- Must possess proven experience of defect analysis, preparing schedules/specifications for minor building works and contract managing on site works.
- Must be able to demonstrate experience of successful project and budget management.
- Must be able to demonstrate a knowledge of statutory and industry compliance requirements, including Planning, Building Regulations, Listed Building Consent and Health and Safety Legislation.
- Must be able to demonstrate knowledge and experience of working with historic buildings.
- Must have excellent communication, IT and organisational skills.
- Must have a full clean driving licence and use of a vehicle.
- To hold full membership of a recognised professional body e.g. RICS, CIOB, RIBA, IHBC etc.
- To demonstrate experience in estimating the cost of works.
- To demonstrate experience of undertaking extension/refurbishment projects to all types of properties.
- To demonstrate knowledge of specialist computer software such as AutoCAD, MS Project etc.
- Salary Band £30,000 to £40,000 per annum
- 26 days holiday per annum plus bank holidays
- Enhanced Pension
- Private Healthcare
- Car Allowance
- The Cowdray Estate offers a comprehensive wellbeing programme
- Discount card for our award winning Farm Shop and Café
- Death in Service benefit
- Calendar of social events to be enjoyed throughout the year
If you have any questions, please contact our HR Manager at Harriet.Connolly@cowdray.co.uk.
To apply for the role, please click the apply button to send your covering letter and CV.