Loss Adjuster / Complex Claims Handler (NHBC)
At NHBC we have opportunities for 2 x NHBC Loss Adjuster / Complex Claims Handler to join our team Home based Any UK (Nationwide travel and regular weekly attendance at our Head Office in Milton Keynes).
As a senior member of the NHBC claims department, you will lead the management and successful conclusion of some of the highest value and/or complex residential property claims within NHBC.
- Determine a claims strategy for investigating and validating high value /complex building warranty claims by applying the appropriate policy wording, considering the NHBC standards and Building Regulations
- Demonstrate effective cost control of claim settlement, identifying when internal or external experts may be required
- Project manage claim to conclusion
- Early Identification of recovery opportunities to reduce indemnity spend
- Understanding of high profile issues which may affect claims strategic direction
- Coordinate works tendering process and contractual governance
- Effectively communicate with the consumer (or third party such as managing agents); ensure timely updates on progress, attend on-site meetings, in particular the pre-start meeting
- Manage the customer relationship (builder) at the appropriate level both externally and internally
- Focal point for claims where a precedent could be set that has a significant potential impact on claims / reserves / policy / building standards / reputational or statutory risk.
- Contract Administration
- Claims may have media or political attention, legal or reputational risk.
This role is home based, but will involve regular weekly attendance at our head office in Milton Keynes, and significant nationwide travel, including overnight stays (accommodation covered by NHBC) therefore a full UK driving licence is essential
Skills, Experience and Qualifications
- Proven experience managing exceptional losses / complex claims in excess of £500k and could exceed £10m, gained working within commercial and/or residential insurance / warranty sector and including flatted and multi-occupancy buildings
- Likely to come from a Loss Adjusting, Major Claims Handler or Building Surveying background, working on complex construction or repair projects or with extensive experience in construction litigation
- Commercially astute, effective at budget control, reserving, financial and cost management
- In-depth understanding of at least one of the following: insurance investigation techniques, house-building construction, remedial projects
- Member of a recognised professional institution, such as RICS, CII, CILA
- Excellent project management skills, organisational skills, capable of managing a complex workload
- Investigative, evaluation and able to demonstrate lateral thinking and problem-solving skills
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal), with the ability to influence at senior levels.
- You must be able to manage multiple stakeholders – consumers, builders, and regulator; plus collaborate with internal stakeholders.
Salary / Benefits:
- Up to £75,000 dependant on experience, qualifications and location
- 10 - 15% performance related bonus
- Company car
- 26/27 days pa annual leave with option to buy an additional week’s annual leave
- Pension scheme (up to 10.5% of salary employer contribution)
- Life assurance of 4 x salary
- Subsidised private medical insurance
- Cycle scheme, high street discounts and preferential gym rates
- Employee assistance programme.
Relocation assistance may be available for the right candidate
Our purpose is to work with the house building industry to raise the standards of new homes and provide protection for homeowners. Homes are at the heart of all our lives and our colleagues are proud to be making a difference to improving the quality standards of new-build homes in the UK. Being an independent, non-profit distributing company with no shareholders means we can focus solely on our mission.
Always happy to talk flexible working
We encourage employees to work flexibly in different ways including home working, field working and both formal and informal flexible working arrangements. We don’t promise we can offer you what you want, but we are always willing and happy to talk flexible working options. This can be discussed further during the interview process.
Diversity and Inclusion
NHBC is committed to equal opportunities for all. We are a signatory to the Armed Forces Covenant and the Women in Finance Charter. Our inclusive culture helps us to maintain competitive advantage as we aim to attract people from diverse backgrounds to complement our team. Underlying our overall commitment to equality is the fundamental belief in the right of all employees and customers to be treated with dignity and respect and to be guaranteed freedom from discrimination.
Excellent – Proud and professional in all that we do
Connected – Collaborating, sharing and achieving success as a team
Human – Challenging, supporting and respecting each other
Progressive – Inspired by possibilities, learning and adapting together