Director / Building Surveyor
Position: Director/Building Surveyor
Location: Baker Street, London
Salary: £60,000-£70,000 with generous pension and other benefits
Closing date: 5pm, 30th October 2019
Are you looking for something slightly different? The Methodist Ministers’ Housing Society (MMHS) has an exciting opportunity for a chartered building surveyor to lead a small team seeking to simplify, innovate and transform.
To help us look after the property needs of retired Methodist ministers of limited means, MMHS needs a forward-thinking, empathetic and organised person who, as part of a senior management team of four, will work to develop and deliver its strategy.
- ensure procurement methods and specifications are appropriate and deliver value for money;
- oversee all works and act as ultimate supervisor of timelines and quality control;
- undertake a range of refurbishment and other projects directly;
- manage your team, providing support and ensuring they develop their skills and expand their knowledge. Direct reports are a repairs and maintenance manager, refurbishment manager and para-legal (to be appointed);
- manage professional matters directly or through professional third parties;
- provide technical and planning advice in connection with purchase, maintenance and alteration of MMHS properties;
- enhance the capital value of the MMHS property portfolio;
- develop and deliver a digital strategy for MMHS properties;
- develop and deliver a strategy for MMHS’s market rented portfolio of c150 properties which addresses such matters as yields, cash flow and maintenance costs;
- provide property development advice in line with strategic intentions;
- have the ability to assist in the development of a strategy which may involve the merging or sharing of portfolios (or parts of portfolios) across charitable organisations;
- provide regulatory and statutory advice relevant to a charity landlord with a large residential property portfolio and to ensure compliance;
- develop policies, ensure implementation and manage our valuations.
- Provide reports and analysis to the CEO and the charity’s Board of Trustees, as needed.
- Building Surveying degree or equivalent;
- experience of senior leadership and resource management;
- experience of working in a commercial environment;
- experience of carrying out a variety of projects and professional services;
- able to think laterally;
- a team player who is a skilled communicator, fun and hard working.
- post grad qualifications in management welcome;
- sympathetic to the Christian faith;
- good knowledge of the not-for-profit sector, in paid or unpaid capacity;
- understanding of the needs of older people.
Applications can be submitted using the form below. An application should comprise your CV and a brief covering letter setting out why you think you are suited to the role. Please feel free to request an informal discussion about the role. Interviews will take place during week beginning 4th November 2019.