DIO – Area Managers South East Region (South & West)
Salary: £53,500 + substantial pension and benefits
Location: RAF Brize Norton OX18 3LX / RMAS Sandhurst, Camberley GU15 4PQ
The ChallengeThe two DIO Area Managers within the South East Region are exciting and challenging roles, pivotal in managing the Defence Estate. The incumbents are a part of the South East Region Leadership Executive which, when combined delivers c£700m of services per year. This role will suit a skilled infrastructure engineer with a wide range of skills and experience. Our Area Managers are empowered to deliver soft and hard facilities management outputs through a range of contracts. There is also a varied projects programme with works up to £5m. The Area Manager will oversee a portfolio of projects, services and maintenance totalling c£30m per year.
Management of these services is through a range of directly managed site facilities managers and other supporting specialists. The Area Manager is line manager for the Senior Estates Facilities Managers and the Estates Facilities Managers in their area. The Area Manager will also line manage elements of the Soft Services contract management team.
Key skills include contract and relationship management with stakeholders including industry partners, senior users and other partners within DIO Operations. The DIO Area Manager is the Primary Interface with customers within their area. They will be expected to represent the full range of DIO outputs either directly or as an interface with other DIO functional areas.
If you enjoy an exciting role that provides fresh challenges every day alongside a steady focus on daily compliance and gives huge satisfaction; then this is for you. The vast range of facilities that are maintained adds to the excitement and the direct contribution to Defence is extremely satisfying.
The two Area Managers to be recruited will loosely cover area South (M3 corridor Hampshire/Surrey) and West (M4 corridor Oxford/Reading area).
Leadership and Management of Service Delivery
- Undertake works collaboratively with the other Area Managers and wider SE DIO team
- Provide direction to the team in order to deliver DIO outputs
- Demonstrate a personal commitment to the DIO guiding principles
- Provide leadership for the team/ function with minimal supervision and direction
- Responsible for developing and supporting the team, enabling them to deliver departmental goals
- Lead, manage and motivate staff providing a positive, collaborative and proactive working environment
- Promote strong working relationships both within the team and with other teams across DIO and MoD
- Responsible for ensuring that the team is compliant with mandatory requirements
- Responsible for development of stakeholder management and analysis activities for major team/function, in particular all Heads of Establishment
- Responsible for developing and maintaining engagement with major function/team stakeholders relevant to the area of business in support of DIO delivery
- Ensure stakeholders, especially customers, are kept informed and willing to support delivery activity as required
- Responsible for ensuring compliance with DIO Corporate approach and messaging
- Ensure escalated issues and third-party interface issues are addressed affecting the estate and infrastructure
- Undertake/support activity in relation to parliamentary or other secretariat business
- Responsible for successful Programme Management across area of responsibility including managing complex issues and dependences through skilled stakeholder engagement
- Manage resources and plans such that team/function can efficiently deliver required outputs
- Regularly review and assess progress across the programme, taking corrective action or re-prioritising as appropriate
- Check programme remains aligned with wider strategic management of the estate and raise issues
- Ensure change request, injections and use requirements are scrutinised and feedback on capability to deliver to meet requested timescales
- Ensure business cases are of the required quality and output is justified
- Responsible for staying within own delegated budget and support of the finance function
- Responsible for ensuring any inputs or support given to finance staff by the team/function is compliant with MOD policy and DIO internal requirements
- Ensure submitted business cases are of high quality and have been internally scrutinised
- Responsible for raising significant financial issues and risks
- Responsible for financial propriety in relation to T&S for team/function including ensuring appropriate record-keeping and audits
- Ensure and negotiate with suppliers to communicate DIO priorities, standards and behaviours
- Lead on dispute management in area of business
- Ensure contractual obligations are met
- Accountable for change management
- Identify opportunities for exploiting benefits of the contract
- Responsible for ensuring pro-active action in relation to non-compliance.
Assurance Support and Performance Reporting
- Responsible for the delivery of assurance to meet contract compliance and performance objectives are met.
- Responsible for ensuring pro-active action in relation to non-compliance
- Ensure accurate reporting in relation to assurance activity
- Responsible for managing development of performance management and analysis activities for major team/function
- Responsible for developing and maintaining the implementation of risk mitigation activities
- Responsible for ensuring compliance with DIO Corporate approach
- Ensure regular and continuous monitoring of all Industry Partners (IP) service delivery to ensure agreed target are being achieved
- Report risk and impacts to delivery standards
Full Driving Licence. The role requires the incumbent to be mobile and able to regularly travel both within the SE region and occasionally beyond.
Desirable Experience & Skills
Evidenced management background within Facilities Management and/or engineering related field
Commercial matters relating to contract performance and compliance
Proven experience in leading and managing teams.
Creating and maintaining trusted relationships.
We enable our people to work at the right place, with the right people, at the right time.
We believe that if we look after our people they will be passionate about delivering great things for our customers.
We understand the importance of life outside of work and our industry leading flexible working practices, digital technology and modern workspaces will give you the opportunity to enjoy a healthy work-life balance.
Some of the many benefits you will receive:
- Highly competitive Pension Scheme
- Flexi-time scheme
- Alternative working practices such as working from home
- 25 days annual leave rising (1 day per year) to 30 days upon completion of 5 years’ service
- Ability to roll over up to 10 days annual leave per year
- In addition to 8 public holidays per year you will also receive leave for HM The Queen’s birthday
- Minimum of 15 Days Special Leave in a rolling 12-month period to for volunteer military or emergency service reserve commitments
- Special Paid Leave for volunteering up to 6 days a year
- Enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption leave
- Employee Assistance Programme to support your wellbeing
- Most sites have good travel links with free car parking; many also have other facilities such as a Sports & Social Club, Gym and / or site shops
Learning & Development
- Professional and Personal Development of skills
- Access to thousands of training courses through Civil Service Learning, some free or paid by DIO
- Ability to obtain industry recognised qualifications supported by DIO
This post does not offer any assistance with relocation allowances.
Please be advised that the Department is conducting a review of all pay related allowances which could impact on those allowances that the post currently being advertised attracts.
The post advertised is for 37 hours net.
Apply and further information
Contact point for applicants:
Name: Chris Colley
Telephone: 07970 252763
Apply before 11:55 pm on Sunday 20th September 2020