DIO - Project Requirements Manager
Location: Catterick, DL9 3LR
Salary: £40,000 + substantial pension and benefits
Join the Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO) and have a future that matters: Be proud; Be challenged; Be unique.
DIO is passionate about ensuring that we are a top performing organisation and a great place to work. We host a diverse range of talent where everyone feels valued and supported enabling our people to flourish, bring greater creativity and innovation to achieve higher organisational performance. We are committed to being an equal opportunities employer and creating a culture where everyone can bring their whole self to work and individuality is truly appreciated.
We promote and support a range of flexible working patterns enabling staff to balance home and work responsibilities.
This culture of inclusion is underpinned by our 6 staff networks covering Disability, Faith and Belief, Gender Equality, LGBTQI+, Race, Social Mobility and 3 networks dealing with employee wellbeing and support: Speak Safe Volunteers, Mental Health First Aiders and Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Advisers.
Our staff, future and current will be guided by the 4 Cs and we encourage you to be curious and continuously strive for improvement, collaborative in an inclusive culture, bold and resilient and committed to Defence, empowered and able to challenge so you can play a key part in shaping the direction of our organisation.
DIO commits to offer its employees the following experience:
• Meaningful, purposeful work
• The ability to learn and grow
• The right opportunities and resources
• To care about your wellbeing
• To feel valued and included
This is an opportunity for a senior practitioner with an established background in requirements management and project delivery who is now looking to further develop their career.
You will need to effectively liaise with and support a project team and engage with multiple stakeholders.
If you have strong engagement and communication skills and the ability to effectively manage internal and external stakeholders, this is an exciting chance to be part of a team supporting the development of an interesting and varied programme
Working right at the heart of Defence, the Defence Estate Optimisation (DEO) Portfolio is a unique initiative tasked with reducing the size of the MOD’s built estate whilst delivering more modern infrastructure to meet future military requirements. Mobilised in 2016 as one of Defence’s top three priorities it plays a major part in wider Government projects. It is accountable and responsible for the delivery of prioritised portfolio of programmes and projects against the DIO Business Plan and to support Military Capability. Over the next ten years, with support from wider DIO and Industry Partners where appropriate, DEO will manage a £4Bn investment programme in core Defence sites on a range of facilities for Service Personnel and their families releasing many other sites for disposal.
This is a Fixed-term Appointment as a Requirements Manager in the Army front line command area. Your responsibilities will be as described in this job advert. This post will end on 31st March 2023. You should be aware that when your Fixed-term Appointment at MOD comes to an end, arrangements will be made in line with the FTA policy.
If you are a permanent MoD civil servant and are found successful for an advertised Fixed-term Appointment (FTA) you should move into the post under a Temporary Transfer (for up to a maximum of 3 years). At the end of the posting you will return to your previous MoD Business area. If this posting is at a higher grade, your promotion will be temporary, and you will return to your substantive grade at the end of the Temporary Transfer. If a Temporary Transfer cannot be agreed between all parties then a transfer on an FTA contract is possible, read the FTA and Change of Work Location in the UK policy for further information.
If you are transferring to MoD from another government department (OGD) you should join the MoD on an inward loan. At the end of the loan you will return to your home (OGD) department. If a loan cannot be agreed between all parties then a transfer on an FTA contract is possible, read the FTA policy for further information.
As a core members of an Integrated Project Team, Requirements Managers (RMs) lead the business-facing elements of major infrastructure project delivery; from Concept, through Construction, to Completion via the DIO supply chain. Working with the Military Project Sponsor and the DIO Project Manager, RMs lead Business Case production and are at the heart of many wider elements of project delivery.
The Requirements Manager is responsible for driving and overseeing the day-to-day delivery of the project requirements to ensure that the objectives are clearly defined and achieved within the agreed time, cost and quality constraints. The successful applicant needs to possess the ability to capture stakeholder needs by assessing, defining and justifying these to arrive at an agreed schedule of requirements. This is a key role in governance and working with stakeholders to ensure the agreed outputs are delivered; to ensure that needs are met and to enable benefits to be realised.
As the business-facing member of an Integrated Project Team the Requirements Manager is the lead for:
• Undertaking project management activity within the area of responsibility, including managing dependencies, assessing and mitigating risks, reporting progress and working with stakeholders.
• Having the ability to define the fundamental components of a programme/project in terms of its scope, deliverables, time scales, resource requirements and budget, including the production of broader plans incorporating risk and quality to provide a consolidated overview of a project.
• Confirming that managed projects remain aligned with the wider strategic management of the estate and raise issues accordingly.
• Engaging with the delivery areas to ensure that all elements are coordinated, and that cogent and coherent delivery timelines are used for programming activities
• Providing Business Case stakeholder engagement (e.g. Commercial, Finance, Sustainability) and support the Project team in the interface with MoD Scrutiny communities to enable Business Case endorsement and approval.
Desirable Experience & Skills
Recognised Project Management Qualification such as APM or PRINCE are desirable qualifications for this role.
We enable our people to work at the right place, with the right people, at the right time.
We believe that if we look after our people they will be passionate about delivering great things for our customers.
We understand the importance of life outside of work and our industry leading flexible working practices, digital technology and modern workspaces will give you the opportunity to enjoy a healthy work-life balance.
Some of the many benefits you will receive:
• Highly competitive Pension Scheme
• Flexi-time scheme
• Alternative working practices such as working from home
• 25 days annual leave rising (1 day per year) to 30 days upon completion of 5 years’ service
• Ability to roll over up to 10 days annual leave per year
• In addition to 8 public holidays per year you will also receive leave for HM The Queen’s birthday
• Minimum of 15 Days Special Leave in a rolling 12-month period to for volunteer military or emergency service reserve commitments
• Special Paid Leave for volunteering up to 6 days a year
• Enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption leave
• Employee Assistance Programme to support your wellbeing
• Most sites have good travel links with free car parking; many also have other facilities such as a Sports & Social Club, Gym and / or site shops
Learning & Development
• Professional and Personal Development of skills
• Access to thousands of training courses through Civil Service Learning, some free or paid by DIO
• Ability to obtain industry recognised qualifications supported by DIO
The post advertised is for 37 hours net, however the Ministry of Defence offers a range of flexibilities to enable a better work-life balance for employees. Flexible working, Part-time working and Job Share working patterns will be considered.
This post does not offer any assistance with relocation allowances.
Please be advised that the Department is conducting a review of all pay related allowances which could impact on those allowances that the post currently being advertised attracts.
Apply and further information
Name: Tim Collett
Apply before 11:55 pm on Wednesday 21st October 2020