You will provide skilled professional guidance and technical support to NFU members on a range of environmental, land use, climate change and planning issues affecting farmers and growers across a region or regions.
Adviser (Environment) Responsibilities;
- Provide specialist, professional advice on statutory environmental and land use issues to members in a region, or regions.
- Represent the NFU, within national guidelines, on all statutory environmental planning and land use issues within a region or regions.
- Lead for region on all matters environmental.
- Maintain a detailed knowledge of environmental, planning and land use legislation, including conservation schemes relating to the opportunities, rights and obligations of NFU members.
- Interpret and communicate relevant national and local legislation, regulations, emerging climate change agenda and associated information to meetings of members and appropriate staff.
- Provide specific advice to members (when such advice is unavailable from NFU CallFirst) on rural development schemes, highways, water and land drainage, flood defences, land compensation, major environmental and land use schemes, laws (including Integrated Pollution Prevention & Control and environmental cross-compliance requirements) and designations. This would also include other appropriate specialist services, in conjunction with regional colleagues, Group Secretaries, Headquarters staff and, when appropriate, with selected local professionals.
- Maintain basic knowledge of land tenure legislation to assist other specialist colleagues in this area.
- Establish and lead practices and precedents, within national guidelines, that are favourable to the farming and growing community.
- Represent the interests of members, and of the NFU, at selected public or private hearings, and when appropriate, to Members of Parliament, Members of the European Parliament and other opinion formers or decision makers.
- Represent members and negotiate with government, agencies and non-statutory bodies within the region/s to develop favourable conditions for members in matters relating to the environment, transport, highways, rights of way and access, planning, water, land use, farm woodlands, health & safety, training & education and other related issues.
- Promote the benefits of NFU Mutual wherever appropriate.
Adviser (Environment) Requirements:
- Educated to degree level or equivalent in a related discipline.
- Demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of key land use and environmental issues.
- Demonstrate knowledge of land compensation, rights of way, conservation schemes and climate change.
- Have an excellent understanding of the farming industry and the associated environmental agenda.
- Experience of influencing with Government and non-statutory bodies.
- Relevant experience of representing farmers and growers on environmental issues.
- Experience of providing regulatory and technical advice.
- Experience of environmental and land legislation.
- Experience of researching, interpreting and communicating regulations and legislation.
- Ability to lead and manage colleagues in a project or team environment.
- Ability to work outside normal working hours.
- Demonstrate knowledge of rural development, land tenure legislation, farm assurance, health and safety, transport, highways and farm woodlands.
- Experience of working with various sector boards.
- Experience of managing projects or initiatives relevant to this role.
- Experience of town & country planning.
- Accomplished public speaker
The National Farmers’ Union is the voice of British farming, and our members are at the heart of what we do. On their behalf we lobby government and other stakeholders, develop policy and provide a range of frontline services.
Why join our team?
Working for the NFU means working alongside great people, who are recognised for their knowledge and expertise and who will invest in your development. Benefits include 25 days annual leave (plus statutory bank holidays), National Employment Savings Trust pension scheme, a performance related pay award scheme, a range of discounts through our NFU Benefits employee portal and subsidised staff restaurant.
Location: Petersfield, Hampshire
Job Type: Full Time, Permanent
You may have experience of the following: Environmental Advisor, Environmental Science, Environmental Officer, Environmental Coordinator, Agricultural Advisor, Farmers, Farming, Defra, Policy Research, Policy Coordination, Town Planning, Town & Country Planning, etc..