Project Controls – Assistant Project Controller – London or Northern England
We are recruiting experienced Assistant Project Controllers to work within our team on a series of security, defence and nuclear sector projects. You must be able to support the management of Projects, Programmes and Portfolios through the provision of a high-quality Project Controls service.
The role will involve working nationally and we are, therefore, flexible regarding your location.
The successful candidate would assist with the management of a range of new build and refurbishment projects, in sectors including defence, security and nuclear. We have “live” projects across the UK, including at The Houses of Parliament, in Yorkshire and in Cumbria.
Our Project Controls team works with industry-leading clients on major multi-million-pound projects, programmes and portfolios of work, providing support and technical information relevant to the service requirements. Our service excellence is supported by internal knowledge communities and collaboration tools to capture and share best practice. We are looking for self-starting and motivated Assistant Project Controllers to join our high performing team of practitioners, managers and consultants.
As an Assistant Project Controller, you will be responsible for working within all stages of project management. The primary role is to assist the Project Controls team in working alongside the project managers to align budgeting, scheduling and coordination process with the project’s requirements.
The role will also include:
- Assisting in assuring the quality and timeliness of cost estimates, budgets, financial reports, risk management and schedules that define the Performance Measurement Baseline.
- Setting up and implementing Project Control systems, including risk management, quality assurance, planning, scheduling and performance management. You would make the systems appropriate to the needs of the project throughout its lifecycle.
- Undertaking schedule assurance, including health and integrity checks.
- Provide comments and recommendations for planning and scheduling requirements, relating to staffing and project control. Preparation of detailed staffing plans for planning and scheduling activities.
- Analyse the schedule and pre-empt potential risks and delays and highlight to the Project Team.
- Provide schedule and cost assurance, including the application of Quantitative Risk Analysis (QRA) for both disciplines.
- Undertake assurance reviews on schedules produced by other team members.
- Review submitted contractors’ schedules and programmes and assist with forensic analysis.
- Earned value management analysis and control activities. Managing workforce planning and staffing plans within your projects or portfolio.
Training will be provided where required.
You should be a well-driven individual with a willingness to succeed and take pride in your work. A career-minded individual who would like to progress in a Project Controls career path. Someone who can be set tasks and be able to prioritise their own workload to hit agreed deadlines and work efficiently within a team and on their own.
Ideally you should have experience in the construction or infrastructure sectors, have a keen attention to detail and an analytical thought process.
You should have an awareness of all commonly used forms of contract, including NEC3.
You would be degree-qualified or be working towards membership of an appropriate professional body. A minimum of an HNC in Construction or Civil Engineering would be preferable, but not essential. You would also need to be able to obtain MOD Security Clearance (SC).
Experience of refurbishment projects, historic buildings, nuclear and defence sectors would be an advantage.
At WYG we develop, design and deliver interdisciplinary projects that support a sustainable future; from technical solutions to complex challenges. Our teams connect across a project lifecycle, creating tailored programmes that address client needs and manage risk.
- We work alongside clients to develop their strategies and plans providing the services they need to unlock opportunities.
- We design for outcomes that realise value for clients and make a difference in communities
- From single projects to large-scale programmes of work we deliver against our client’s objectives and are adept at working in complicated or highly regulated environments
WYG is now part of the Tetra Tech group, a leading provider of consulting, engineering, programme management, construction management, and technical services. As part of the Tetra Tech team – 20,000 people in over 450 global locations – we can achieve more for our clients, through a wider alliance of services and industry expertise across our markets.
A rewarding future is yours at WYG. We’re committed to supporting your personal aspirations - and with clear career paths and a wide range of opportunities, your goals will always be within reach. Our blended learning experience will help you develop all the skills and qualifications you need to succeed.
In addition to a competitive salary, we offer several benefits for employees, including contributory pension, health cover and flexible working options. Pick and choose your perfect blend from advantages including additional holiday and travel insurance. You will also benefit from a tailored package or professional training and development, with support to achieve your career goals.
We are always happy to discuss flexible working, including the possibility of reduced hours, flexible start and finish times, or compressed hours. We can offer a range of solutions to help you to get the most out of your work / life balance.