Chartered Building Surveyor
Established pub group embarking on a proactive asset investment strategy
About the role:
Based in the heart of Stockport for almost two centuries, and owning 300 tenanted and managed pubs, inns and hotels across the North West, ‘Robinsons’ is one of oldest and most respected names in British brewing history. With pubs of great character and great beer across Cheshire, Derbyshire, Lancashire, Cumbria and North Wales, the Robinsons family is part of the local landscape. They’re proud of where they’ve come from, proud of where they are, and excited about where they’re going. Integral to the onward development and management of existing assets, their Property function is a core element of their head office operations.
At Robinsons, the role of Regional Building Surveyor is highly autonomous and draws on a balance of survey, compliance, maintenance and refurbishment work to protect their portfolio of assets.
This new role, to enhance their existing maintenance and compliance team, will oversee a defined property portfolio in order to develop and execute a proactive maintenance strategy.
Utilising information from existing survey reports and working alongside the Helpdesk and Capital Projects teams, the role will have responsibility for approximately 60 pubs and is expected to contribute to the wider development and management on the property function. Key duties and responsibilities include:
- Review condition surveys already undertaken and devise a plan for pro-active repairs and maintenance
- Plan, develop and implement strategies to facilitate optimal income growth and / or cash generation arising from the most effective utilisation of assets and maintenance spend
- Utilise available knowledge and expertise within the business, together with appropriate outsourced expertise, to identify the potential returns capable of being generated from all assets
- Management of a defined proportion of the group's maintenance expenditure budget, ensuring value for money achieved
- Develop and implement a programme of planned preventative maintenance within the estate to protect asset condition
- Implement a rigorous approach to Health & Safety management and other compliance matters
- Undertake further detailed surveys to assess best course of action for remedying building defects
- Manage external communications to landlords, customers, suppliers, statutory authorities and trade associations.
The successful applicant:
To be considered for the role of Regional Building Surveyor you will preferably have some experience working in a client side property role in a highly consumer facing industry, such as retail or leisure. You will have a proven track record of planned maintenance, property investment, defects analysis and remedial works, management of dilapidation's and development of maintenance strategies to protect a wide ranging property portfolio. Other skills and key attributes will include:
- Degree qualified in a relevant property or building subject, with a good level of post-graduation experience gained as a Building Surveyor in commercial practice or in-house
- Professionally qualified (RICS or IOB) or experienced and on a programme to compete your training to become a Chartered Surveyor
- Technically strong with a sound grasp of building pathology, repair solutions and current legislation
- The capability to devise and deliver a planned maintenance strategy
- North West based or keen to re-locate to manage a portfolio defined in the region (Cheshire, Lancashire, Manchester, Merseyside and North Wales)
- An ability to work autonomously on property matters but with a collaborative and customer-focused approach to wider business / retail operations
- Commercially aware with good communication and problem-solving skills for working with numerous other head office and external supplier functions
- Good organisation skills, with the ability to manage and prioritise a number of maintenance and compliance led matters
- Self-driven and results-orientated with a positive outlook
Whats on offer?
The role of Regional Building Surveyor is an excellent opportunity to forge a career in an interesting, varied and fast-paced role with scope to make a real difference across their multi-site portfolio.