Peabody are looking to recruit a recently graduated Trainee Surveyor (with a minimum degree 2:1) to support our existing surveyor. You will join our Thanet Home Improvement Agency Team (HIA) on 2 year Fixed Term Contract in return for a competitive salary of £26,000 per annum.
As the role will involve visiting clients homes in Thanet and occasionally in Canterbury, a full UK driving licence is required.
The Trainee Surveyor role:
The role will include providing a professionally qualified, comprehensive surveying and technical service to clients. Enabling them to choose and achieve appropriate housing solutions; promoting independence, wellbeing and inclusion. Including advice on energy efficiency measures, repairs and maintenance. In addition, will develop relationships with Local Authorities and Social Services, have local knowledge of the area and be competent in Microsoft Office package.
The successful candidate will initially be assisting with managing a caseload, managing/supervising contractors carrying out adaptations and repairs in domestic housing, designing and planning extensions and major adaptations to domestic buildings including all surveys, calculations, statutory applications and produce drawings using AutoCAD. Design statements and detailed tender documents and successfully preparing works for Planning and Building Regulations approval.
Responsibilities of our Trainee Surveyor:
- Inspect and survey customers’ homes, providing a technical assessment and advice regarding repairs and improvements. Provide guidance to enable customers to make informed decisions around independent living, health and wellbeing in accordance with the requirement of stakeholders and funders.
- Prepare drawings, schedules of works or schedule of rates and specifications, as required, for building control, planning authorities and invitations to tender for grant approval to agreed timescales.
- Demonstrate strong knowledge of technical legislation and building law such as the Building Regulations, British Standards, CDM 2015, planning permission, lawful developments and the Party Wall 1996 Act etc.
- Provide effective solutions to technical problems and ensure that all works carried out meet required technical standards and are in line with contractual obligations and requirements.
- Manage the technical workload from initial inspection to completion, to meet performance targets set by local authorities, Operations Manager (internally) and any other stakeholders or partners.
- To identify required technical knowledge development including statutory and regulatory changes, manufacturer and supplier advice and information, and developing a reference library of relevant documentation.
- To contribute to maintaining and reviewing the HIA contractors list, providing evidential information on recent performance, as requested.
Skills and experience required of our Trainee Surveyor:
- Recently Graduated BSc (Hons) in Building Surveying minimum Degree level 2:1
- Experience of surveying preferred
- Experience of AutoCAD preferred
- Ability to deliver challenging objectives
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient IT skills including databases, Microsoft Office Outlook, Word and Excel
- Excellent knowledge of building pathology
- Knowledge of current building regulations and statutory legislation
- Ability to write and disseminate detailed technical reports
- Team player and self-motivated
- Excellent communication skills
- Approachable with a can-do attitude
Benefits of becoming our Trainee Surveyor:
- 25 days annual leave, plus bank holidays
- Sick pay
- Paid DBS (roles that require enhanced checks will include both the child and adult barring checks)
- Peabody offers a variety of different types of roles and encourages staff development and progression
- Paid Induction Training
- 24/7 access to a confidential employee assistance programme line
- Up to 4% pension contribution matched 1:1
- Flexible benefits of 1% of salary with a minimum of £300
- Spot Bonus awards
- Long Service awards
- Paid Mileage at 45p per mile (as applicable)
If you feel have the skills and experience to become our Trainee Surveyor please click ‘apply’ today, we’d love to hear from you!
Closing Date: Wednesday 10th February 2021