Hays are working in partnership with Gloucester City Council to recruit a Building Works Officer
About Gloucester City Council
Gloucester City Council is a dynamic local authority providing essential services to the people of Gloucester. They have a strong vision for the city to be a place where everyone feels proud to live and no one gets left behind. To make a difference to their communities, they are looking for people who share their commitment.
Gloucester is the cathedral city of the Cotswolds in the south west of England. Each year, over 3.5 million people from home and abroad visit the city for leisure and business. Gloucester continues to grow into a vibrant and unique place to live and work - a city that's undergoing a cultural and physical regeneration while retaining its distinctive heritage. They are located right in the heart of this, next to beautiful historical buildings like Gloucester Cathedral and a mix of high street shops and independent boutiques. Only a short walk away is the historic docks and home to Gloucester Quays .The Quays has a popular outlet shopping centre, cinema, a wide range of restaurants, and a great night life. It also hosts a number of events like the Victorian Christmas Market and the monthly Food and Craft Market.
In the city, you'll also be at the heart of Premiership Rugby, as the Kingsholm Stadium - home of Gloucester Rugby 'the Cherry and Whites'. If your taste for adventure is a little more obscure, you're also in the home of cheese rolling and surfing the second biggest tidal range in the world - The Severn Bore!
It's an exciting time to join the council, they are transforming the city through regeneration, cultural change and investing in their heritage. The city council and its partners Gloucester Culture Trust are in the process of delivering an ambitious Cultural Strategy that places culture at the heart of the city for the good of all - making Gloucester a dynamic and creative place with big ambitions to develop its cultural scene. Gloucester truly is a great place to live, work, study or visit with great facilities, there is no better time to consider a career with Gloucester City Council given this level of ambition.
Your new role
As the Senior Building Works Officer and the lead on Gloucester City Council's Car Parks, you will contribute to the day to day running of Council premises, which is a mixed portfolio of operational and investment property and spans from 12 century grade one listed properties to state-of-the-art modern buildings. In addition, the council own and operate the majority of the City Centre multi-storey and surface car parks.
- You will lead on the maintenance of properties, manage both the internal and external team dealing with day to day responsive repairs service to a mixed portfolio of properties.
- You will plan and oversee a rolling programme of works to keep our properties in a fit condition.
- You will assist with budget preparation and monitor spend against budget for both revenue and capex funded work.
- Ensure building compliance is maintained. review reports from specialist contractors and ensure non-compliant issues are resolved.
- Carry out estate inspections to ensure that council land is safe for its users, prioritise works based on risk assessments and organise repairs as above.
- Carry out and oversee the stock condition surveys of the council properties, including updating the asset database with results.
- You will deal with the preparation of tender documents for works contracts and oversee works as contract administrator as required.
- You will deal with the procurement, role out and supervision of contracts relation to property maintenance and repair, property related projects, property compliance, and the running of our car parks.
- You will make sure that our car parks are run efficiently, costs are controlled, and net revenue is maximised.
To be successful in this position as the Senior Building Works Officer and Car Parks Manager it is essential you have a broad range of property experience within the commercial sectors. Due to broad range and variety of buildings the Council work with, you must have a extensive range of construction surveying experience and show a good understanding of construction design and maintenance problems and associated issues.
You should have a sound understanding of building compliance issues to include: health and safety, asbestos awareness, fire regulations, legionella and lift maintenance. You should have a solid track record of project management and contract supervision and dealing with contract procurement. You must be able to prioritise works and plan your own workload within the confines of the role. You should be a good communicator, good at managing others being able to lead and supervise other officers, external contractors and suppliers.
You must be able to deal with all stakeholders, including council staff and councillors, contractors, tenants and members of the public and possess a good level of political nous. Ideally you will hold a professional qualification appropriate to the remit of the role or equivalent in experience, as well as hold a CSCS card.
What you will get in return:
This is a unique and highly rewarding opportunity. You can expect to achieve a salary of £36,722 - £40,890 per annum (inclusive of the market supplement), coupled with a generous leave entitlement of 29 days annually (plus bank holidays), one of the largest pensions in public sector in the UK, along with life cover of three times your salary with financial protection for your family, and other competitive benefits. The Council operate a flexible hours working scheme with core hours and the option to bank over contract hours to take up to 12 days flexi leave a year.
To review the full job description, please refer to the key documents section on the dedicated recruitment Microsite as listed in the URL below.
HOW TO APPLY:
For more information, please visit the dedicated recruitment microsite URL link: