NHBC has a fantastic opportunity for a Building Surveyor/Senior Surveyor to join the organisation. The successful candidate will manage risk to NHBC Group on warranty products and NHBC BCS on building control applications in accordance with the relevant business area SLA’s, technical policies and Standard Operating Procedures to ensure customer and statutory requirements are met.
Apart from working with great colleagues who are passionate about what they do, you will be joining a rapidly growing, market leading business. We pride ourselves on developing individuals to achieve their full potential and offer exceptional personal development and career progression opportunities. We also support, sponsor and pay for training and membership to relevant professional organisations. All necessary equipment and other allowances associated with working from home will be provided.
Diversity and Inclusion
NHBC is committed to equal opportunities for all. We are a signatory to the Armed Forces Covenant and the Women in Finance Charter. Our inclusive culture helps us to maintain competitive advantage as we aim to attract people from diverse backgrounds to complement our team. Underlying our overall commitment to equality is the fundamental belief in the right of all employees and customers to be treated with dignity and respect and to be guaranteed freedom from discrimination.
Always happy to talk flexible working
We encourage employees to work flexibly in different ways including home working, field working and both formal and informal flexible working arrangements. We don’t promise we can offer you what you want, but we are always happy to talk flexible working. In the interview process we’ll discuss this more with you. NHBC has offices in London, Milton Keynes, Edinburgh and Belfast.
About the role
- Manage own workload and allocated tasks by Inspection Manager and Peer Group 1-3 builders to ensure relevant SLA’s are achieved
- Take responsibility for the assessment of building regulation and warranty applications for residential developments and associated non-residential uses typically up to 11 metres high
-Negotiate with developers, builders and their professional advisors, from initial design to completion, to ensure proposals are satisfactory in relation to building control and warranty in accordance with relevant regulations/NHBC Standards
- Responsibility for the co-ordination of building control inspections, issue of Final Certificates, site and type approvals and resolving problems relating to Initial Notices/Final certification
-Manage the Building Regulation and Warranty aspects by supporting inspection staff with the provision of expert advice, inspection of high risk/complex elements or features of building work, the identification / communication of key inspection stages and review of progress
- Assist others in the surveying of existing buildings to assess suitability for Buildmark Conversions cover
- Keep up to date with NHBC’s IT systems
-Ensure compliance with NHBC and HSE requirements for personal safety and that of others
- Assist with the delivery of technical presentations to both internal and external customers where required
- Assist with training, coaching and mentoring of others as required
You will have (or be able to demonstrate you are working towards) Chartered membership of an appropriate professional institution and have an in-depth knowledge and understanding of at least one of the following key areas: Claim’s, Building Regulations, Engineering, NHBC Standards, Inspection, building construction and technology.
Having substantial relevant building/construction experience with substantial knowledge of the housing and commercial sectors, in addition to having an understanding of building pathology. You will have good communication skills both verbal and written with appropriate interpersonal and presentational skills and will be IT literate and proficient in the use a range of MS Office software programs.
A proactive, self-motivated, team player, flexible and willing to get involved with the development of the role. A full driving licence is required. You will typically work within a defined geographical area but may be required to work elsewhere in the UK as required.
The role is home based but you will be required to undertake frequent site visits and periodically attend our head office at Milton Keynes and other NHBC offices.
Salary / Benefits:
- £41000.00 - £44,300.00 per annum (dependent on experience)
- Remote Worker Allowance
- 6% bonus.
- Company car (subject to the annual minimum 4k business mileage)
- 25 days pa annual leave with additional days for long service.
- Pension scheme accredited to Pension Mark Plus standards (up to 10.5% of salary employer contribution) with life assurance of 4 x salary.
- Funded private medical insurance.
- Tax efficient childcare vouchers and cycle purchase scheme.
- High street discounts and preferential gym rates.
- Employee assistance programme.
Excellent – Proud and professional in all that we do.
Connected – Collaborating, sharing and achieving success as a team.
Human – Challenging, supporting and respecting each other.
Progressive – Inspired by possibilities, learning and adapting together
The position will close on Thursday 15th April 2021