Senior Building / Quantity Surveyor
Reports to: Managing Director
Based at: 249 Chambersbury Lane, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire HP3 8BQ
Salary: £55,000 + profit related bonus (£75,000.00)
A small, family business tracing its history back to 1695, Eco Tiffin has a long tradition of property improvement both by attending to inherent structural matters and enhancing and amending the structure of homes.
Led by Robert Tiffin, a Quantity Surveyor, Thermographer and Retrofit Coordinator, the business focusses on older buildings and ensuring that they meet the modern-day demands and requirements. The business keeps pace with modern technologies and materials and has developed a specialist Eco side that the business can bring the highest levels of moisture control, heat conservation and energy efficiency to older properties. This company is also known for successfully fighting insurance claims for their clients.
The business is looking to achieve controlled expansion while maintaining its professional standards and profitability.
The role has the potential to offer significant future career opportunities.
To profitably grow the business by undertaking pre-sales and sales activity, raise quotations and manage customer relationships to maintain the high standards and reputation of the business.
- Maintain and develop a computerised customer and prospect database.
- Respond to enquiries, undertake site visits and prepare formal proposals.
- Undertake formal surveys as required and write up in a detailed formal report including professional recommendations and opinions as necessary. Including energy efficiency methods.
- Hand-over contracts won to the in-house Contracts Manager so the project can be efficiently delivered in line with the proposal.
- Undertake site visits during works and maintain excellent relationships with the client throughout.
- Secure formal acceptance from the client once work is complete and prepare final accounts.
- Maintain excellent and constructive working relationships with the other members of the Eco Tiffin team.
- Any other tasks as, from time-to-time may be required to ensure the smooth running of the business
Qualifications and Experience:
- Experienced Quantity Surveyor (preferably MRICS/FRICS).
- Comprehensive knowledge of Moisture & energy efficiency in older (pre 1990) and heritage buildings.
- Knowledge of both passive and active ‘green’ energy solutions and their installation in older and heritage buildings.
- Business development experience.
- Writing formal Professional reports based on observations and assessments.
- Thermal efficiency works and thermography.
- Assessment in moisture and decay.
- Experienced in pricing refurbishment projects up to 20-500k.
- Domestic insurance claims.
- Listed building ‘modernisation’ projects.
- Experience of Sustainable Housing projects.
Personality: Self-driven, results-oriented with a positive outlook, and a clear focus on high quality and business profit. A natural forward planner who critically assesses own performance. Mature, credible, and comfortable in dealing with people. Excellent communicator, able to see things from the other person's point of view. Well-presented and business-like. Able to get on with others and be a team-player.
Personal Situation: Able to commute reliably to office base and travel within the area covered by the business (London & the home counties). Able to work extended hours on occasions when required.
Specific Job Skills: Able to communicate and motivate via written media. Understands the principles of value-based selling and ensuring project profitability at margins acceptable to the company.
Computer skills: Must be adept in use of MS Office 365, particularly Excel and Word.
Literacy and Numeracy: Able to understand profit and loss calculations and basic business finance, e.g., gross margin percentages and calculations, depreciation, capital and revenue expenditure, cash-flow, overheads, etc. Must be a very competent writer of business letters, quotations and proposals.
Business and Selling Skills: Must be an excellent face-to-face and telephone communicator. Able to demonstrate success and experience managing customers across both large and small contracts. Ideal background would be in larger building enhancement business and looking for an opportunity to grow. Experience of tenders would also be useful.
Management Ability: Though internal staff management is not initially part of the job, responsibility and opportunity could grow with the development of the business. Some people-management skills, experience and natural ability will be useful.