- Unique international opportunity, Private sector green space role
- Favourable tax regime, island jurisdiction, enviable work/life balance
About Our Client
The Falkland Islands Company is the largest private sector employer on the Islands and is well established with 165 years of proven expertise. The firm has a breadth of services, including that serves every aspect of modern island life including retail, insurance, house-building, automotive sales and servicing and tourist and agency services.
The company is focused on working with the Falklands Government, Ministry of Defence and construction companies and oil companies alike, and to submit compelling tenders and project manage successfully won contracts including key infrastructure developments. The Construction Director will be tasked with providing both strategic and practical guidance to stakeholders at all levels. Working closely with both the private and public sector, the successful applicant will be able to work effectively at the concept and planning phase, be able to prepare detailed tenders and carefully costed project plans, work with architects, engineers, and comfortable also with trade workers on project sites.
Appointing a proactive individual with the gravitas to foster confidence with all stakeholders will be essential.
Other responsibilities will include:
- Hands on oversight and management of existing civil construction contracts
- Co-ordination and preparation of detailed projects plans and costed tenders.
- Reviewing and evaluating existing residential property portfolio and developing:
- Costed planned maintenance programme
- Refurbishment / rebuild recommendations for existing properties
- New build options for existing serviced sites
- Management of residential property rental portfolio
- Developing plans for longer term redevelopment of key strategic sites
- Progressing discussions concerning long term redevelopment of Stanley
The Successful Applicant
An explorer at heart, the successful Construction Director will be looking to be based in the Falkland Islands for the foreseeable future. He or she will enjoy the remoteness from 'large city life' and appreciate a more relaxed local lifestyle. This building and construction industry specialist will take great pride in undertaking a role that will have a dramatic effect not only on the future of the company but on the whole Island community. The location affords both a one of a kind career opportunity to enjoy significant overall autonomy, to make a real difference and an enviable work/life balance. More information on housing and relocation is available through our specialist Offshore team.
Expertise in a similar construction and project role will be essential to success. The successful applicant will possess:
- Professional Qualification (MCIB , Chartered Surveyor, QS or similar) with minimum of 10 years practical experience of property development in UK and ideally overseas.
- Primary experience in commercial property , civil projects and site development
- NEC contract implementation
- Excellent man management skills
- Good commercial instincts and negotiating flair
- Significant experience preparing and then delivering successful tenders for medium / large civil construction projects
- Ability and willingness to prepare site surveys and planning applications
- Self-starter with good communication skills as well as technical qualifications
What's on Offer
Competitive Salary ( £80-100k ) + Bonus + Car + Pension + Relocation
Where specific UK qualifications are required we will take into account overseas equivalents. All third party applications will be forwarded to Michael Page.