The Blacksmith, Hyde Park, London W2 (with travel to all parks)
Created in March 2017, The Royal Parks is a charity that supports and manages 5,000 acres of historic parkland across London. Millions of Londoners and tourists visit our beautiful sites, which offer unparalleled opportunities for enjoyment, exploration and healthy living in the heart of the capital.
We look after eight of London’s largest open spaces; Hyde Park, The Green, Richmond, Greenwich, St James’s, Bushy and The Regent’s Parks, and Kensington Gardens. We also manage other important open spaces in the capital including Brompton Cemetery, Victoria Tower Gardens, Canning Green and Poet’s Corner.
We are now seeking a Building Surveyor to join our team based at our head office in Hyde Park.
- Salary of £38,000 - £45,000 per annum, depending on experience
- Pension scheme
- 26 days' holiday per annum plus public holidays
This is an outstanding opportunity for a surveying professional who is looking to develop their career in the management and conservation of listed or historic buildings and structures.
With 180 listed buildings, structures and monuments, you will have the chance to play a key role in preserving history, ensuring Londoners continue to have stunning outdoor spaces to visit and enjoy.
Your involvement in a wide variety of engaging projects and works programmes will provide you with the perfect basis upon which to build your expertise and will require skill and imaginative solutions. This will ensure that no two days are the same and this exciting position will engage, inspire and entertain you within your professional life.
As a Building Surveyor, you will provide surveying and construction support to the Estates and Works Teams in the day-to-day management of the Royal Parks Estate and the Facilities Management (FM) contract.
Within the FM contract, you will be involved in the delivery of a mixture of Hard Services facilities management and minor projects which tend to be either refurbishment or conservation bias.
Reporting to the Head of Works and Facilities Management, you will provide technical support for construction projects, advising on relevant repair issues and resolving issues in the most cost-effective way.
Your role will also involve:
- Preparing schedules of condition/dilapidation for buildings occupied by third parties
- Preparing specifications for remedial works
- Project managing maintenance works
- Carrying out site inspections to ensure that works are being delivered to the correct standards
- Taking responsibility for budgets for fabric builds
- Managing the cyclical programme of condition surveys
- Preparing client documentation for compliance with CDM Regulations
To be considered as a Building Surveyor, you will need:
- Proven management experience within the building industry
- Experience of planning and listed building practise, the roles of Historic England and local planning authorities
- The ability to prepare tender documents and tender evaluation
- Excellent knowledge of Building Pathology
- Proven knowledge and experience of Building Regulations, in particular Part M, Access and Use of Buildings
- A RICS, CIOB, APM and/or AFM qualification (or be about to obtain)
A PRINCE2 qualification would be advantageous to your application, as would a degree in one of the following disciplines: Surveying, Building, Construction and/or Project Management
Previous project management or construction management experience would also be desirable, as would knowledge of CDM regulations and NEC or other forms of contract.
Other organisations may call this role Chartered Building Surveyor, Chartered Surveyor, Commercial Surveyor, Residential Surveyor, Quantity Surveyor, Building Control Surveyor, or Planning and Development Surveyor.
Webrecruit and The Royal Parks are equal opportunities employers, value diversity and are strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and all applicants for employment. Equal opportunities are the only acceptable way to conduct business and we believe that the more inclusive our environments are, the better our work will be.
So, if you’re seeking your next challenge as a Building Surveyor, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.