Head of Property Refurbishment and Decarbonisation
St Paul’s and St George’s (Ps & Gs) is a vibrant Scottish Episcopal (Anglican) church with a congregation of around 1,000 which has at its heart our belief that we are called to be whole life disciples, sharing the whole of the gospel, with the whole of society, through churches of grace.
We are looking for an experienced Property Manager to join our diverse staff team of talented people. You will provide the property oversight which will allow us to deliver our strategy and realise our vision for Ps & Gs.
Is that you? Keep reading to find out more.
About the role
The applicant would be responsible for the strategic and proactive maintenance of all the church’s properties:
• The Church building on the corner of York Place and Broughton Street. (main space, 4 halls, commercial kitchen, glass foyer, toilets and other storage rooms)
• Offices at 10 and 12 Broughton Street.
• 40 York Place which is used for our counselling service and children and youth work.
• Three rectories located in Stockbridge, Blackhall and Portobello. You would report to Operations Director and be able to seek support and guidance from the Vestry. The Facilities and Production Coordinator will also be able to assist with some day to day tasks.
This role will ideally suit a person with experience of property, either in a professional or other capacity, who thrives when working as part of a team to meet the needs of a vibrant church.
We are looking for someone to join our friendly team in this new post of Property Manager. You will bring wide experience of property management and be able to diligently oversee the properties of the church, ensuring we are able to deliver our wide and expanding range of ministries.
You will need to have experience of working as a member of a team will need to develop close and supportive working relationships with all members of the staff team, Vestry and other key volunteers.
You will also need to have strong emotional intelligence and be able to factor the ‘people’ aspect into projects and problems. We’re looking for a Property Manger who has proven experience of:
• Property Management.
• Letting of contracts: monitoring of the tender process and subsequent management of contracts.
• Implementation and application of relevant health and safety, planning and building regulations and understanding of property surveys.
• Property acquisition.
• As directed by the Operations Director and Vestry, you will assist with strategic analysis of the property implications of existing ministries and any new projects to ensure the properties are used to their full potential.
• Develop and maintain a plan for the management and oversight of all the church buildings to include: An overview of their condition. Current and projected maintenance required .Project timetable for any works .Costs
2. Manage all maintenance of properties including:
• Inspect/monitor/report on the condition of all properties and develop a timetable for doing this.
• Manage all maintenance including a rolling maintenance programme of works.
• Manage contractors (including Health & Safety) Monitor maintenance contractor performance. Renegotiate/retender/award new maintenance contracts where necessary.
• Set up and manage Operational & Maintenance (O&M) documentation for each property.
3. Manage energy/utilities of properties including:
• Manage all utility contracts and monitor supplier performance and renegotiate/award new energy/ utility contracts where necessary.
• Monitor/report on energy usage throughout the estate on a regular basis , Including cost effective energy conservation and carbon reduction measures.
• Manage energy finances in conjunction with the Finance Manager.
4. Property Acquisition and Disposal
• When needed work closely with Operations Director, members of Vestry/Staffing Group on the purchase or disposal of property, in particular you will ensure:
surveys are undertaken. Properties are inspected. Reports are properly evaluated, and make recommendations as necessary.
5. Regulatory Compliance
• Be able to access and apply knowledge of current property legislation (especially Health & Safety and contract law) seeking specialist advice as needed.
• Be proactive in keeping abreast of upcoming legislative changes and advise/report on necessary actions in a timely manner.
• Advise the Operations Director and Vestry on compliance as needed.
6. Health and Safety • Ensure Ps & Gs is compliant with health and safety legislation
• Keep the health and safety policy up to date and ensure staff and volunteers are compliant with it.
Job Terms and Conditions
1. The role is 14 hours per week, excluding breaks (1 hour each day for lunch). Attendance at meetings outside office hours will be required - time off in lieu can be claimed.
2. You will be enrolled in a direct contribution pension scheme (NEST) or by agreement contribute into an alternative scheme.
3. Salary is negotiable dependent on experience, but is in the range of £27,000-£32,000 pro rata £10,800-£12,800.
4. You are entitled to 30 days holiday, plus 5 public holidays, per year. (pro rata)
5. The notice period is 3 months.
6. The role reports to the Operations Director and is reviewed annually.
7. The appointment will be subject to you, if successful, obtaining a PVG Scheme Record (Enhanced Disclosure) through Disclosure Scotland. If you are invited to interview, you will receive more information about this.
8. You will be expected to have empathy with the vision, strategy, ethos and culture of Ps & Gs.
To apply: Please complete an application form (available from www.psandgs.org.uk/jobs) and return by email to email@example.com