The National Trust for Scotland
Location: Hermiston Quay, Edinburgh TBC (with some flexibility for home working)
Eden Scott is delighted to be working with The National Trust for Scotland (NTS) to appoint a dynamic National Estates Manager to lead, manage and further develop the National Estates Team to improve the efficiencies and effectiveness of land and property asset management, income generation, financial forecasting and service delivery to support the Trust’s strategy.
The National Trust for Scotland is the largest member organisation in Scotland. As a conservation charity, they’re supported by more than 300,000 members and are funded largely by donations. Since 1931, their love for Scotland has fuelled their desire to protect the things that make it special. By championing Scotland’s natural, built and cultural heritage they inspire those around them. From coastlines to castles, art to architecture, wildlife to wilderness, NTS encourage people to connect with the things that make Scotland unique while protecting them for future generations.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities include:
- Professional leadership of the National Estates team with a high standard of effective people-management skills.
- Provision of support, professional input and assistance to Regional Property management teams by contributing to strategies to generate optimal income targets.
- Statutory compliance recommendations for the asset portfolio and landholding.
- Budgetary control and effective financial management, in particular in relation to the Trust’s annual rental income; agricultural return subsidies; holiday accommodation income; asset disposal income.
Required qualifications, skills, experience & knowledge:
- MRICS professional qualification.
- Degree in relevant land and asset management subject would be desirable.
- Demonstrable experience of successful strategic planning.
- Successful proven experience of team assembly, leadership and development.
- Successful proven experience of managing a growth plan, leading a commercial, residential and rural property, factoring or estate agency business is a prerequisite for a job of this scale and ambition.
- Evidence of financial acumen and an entrepreneurial outlook and demonstrable competence in budget setting/management, financial forecasting, spreadsheet preparation, development appraisals and valuation methodology is a fundamental requirement, ideally gained in a commercial environment including property development, estate management, forestry, agency or factoring.
- An understanding of environmental legislation and conservation designations, the statutory land use, planning and development control process is fundamental.
- An understating of current legislation with regard to landlord and tenant matters in Scotland to cover residential, agricultural, crofting, wayleave and commercial use classes.
- Evident skills in communicating effectively and persuasively across all levels with internal and external specialist and non-specialist staff and stakeholders, including members of the general public.
- Ability to provide examples of a track record of success, including new project identification, design, development and delivery.
This is a unique role to work with The National Trust for Scotland, one of our nations’ most influential and culturally significant organisations. The post is a two-year fixed-term appointment and comes with a market-leading benefits package.
For further information and a detailed Job Description, or to apply, please contact Iain Atkinson, Associate Director, Eden Scott by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone on 07714 124 033.