£52,342 - £55,719
Closing Date - 12/05/2021
Milton Keynes is a rapidly expanding, vibrant and dynamic place to live, work and play. How better to contribute to that continued success than through a unique and rewarding career with Milton Keynes Council. So if you're looking for an excellent benefits package and the chance to make a difference, make a move to Milton Keynes Council. With modern working practices where flexibility is commonplace and performance is measured on outcomes and results, alongside a generous holiday entitlement, you can experience a fulfilling job and great work-life balance.
Please note that this role is only open to applicants who have the right to work in the UK
This is an exciting time to work for Milton Keynes Council. We are planning some major changes to our property asset portfolio and you will have chance to make your mark in a role with great responsibility. We will rely on your expert input to deliver the Corporate Property Strategy, and crucially, you will also bring your professional and technical expertise to bear on a large and varied portfolio of operational and commercial property. Covid-19 has presented us with a unique opportunity to rationalise our estate through new ways of working where many of our buildings have become surplus to current requirements and so we're looking for a driven Development Manager who is looking to take up an exciting new challenge within the Property and Facilities Department. You will lead on the inception and concept development of multiple mixed use property projects and manage the development process of a pipeline of sites arising from asset rationalisation from obtaining planning approvals to the delivery of completed schemes or disposal. You will manage the Development and Asset management team to ensure the council’s estate is fit-for-purpose and sustainable and that the requirements of the Corporate Property Strategy are delivered. The department is an exciting place to work - no two days are ever the same! You will be involved in a variety of schemes from working with our partners to deliver development parcels for sale in the expansion areas, the feasibility and development of our environmental services hub, joint ventures and land assembly and the development of bespoke service hubs. If you're up for a new challenge in a fast-paced environment, and you think you can help us to deliver our ambition, then we want to hear from you!
- Manage the Development and Asset management team to ensure the council’s estate is fit-for-purpose and sustainable and that the requirements of the Corporate Property Strategy are delivered
- Lead on the inception and concept development of multiple mixed use property project, liaising effectively with colleagues, councillors and stakeholders, to ensure that the scheme is delivered within budget and on time
- Direct the liaison and consultation with ward councils, parish councils, portfolio holders, residents, residents’ groups, project groups, the local planning authority and other statutory bodies as required, to discuss, agree and implement proposals.
- Manage the development process of a pipeline of sites arising from asset rationalisation from obtaining planning approvals to the delivery of completed schemes or disposal
- Carry out financial/risk appraisals of schemes and reports for approval and ensuring that risk assessments are updated for all schemes and that progress reports are made and presented.
- Carry out options appraisals and feasibility studies to ensure that the Council meets its obligations under S123 of the Local Government Act and which maximises the financial or social return to the Council
Experience, Qualifications and any Mandatory Requirements
- Experience of working with and developing new arrangements with partners including elected members and external agencies
- A degree level qualification and membership of the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors, with significant post qualification experience
- Extensive experience in delivering property developments or deals, including financial appraisals
- Experience of working on a range of complex property transactions including Joint Ventures, CPO, and Land Assembly with the ability to accurately instruct professional services and understand detailed points of property law.
- Experience of delivering the outcomes of an asset management plan or asset rationalisation programme to deliver that programmes objectives
- Driving licence and access to a vehicle for work
Departmental Benefits of this role
- Opportunity for home and flexible working
- Mobile phone and IT equipment for remote working
- Training and development opportunities, including CPD