Construction Manager (Client Side, New Build Housing Development Delivery Manager)
London Borough of Newham
£45,834 - £48,819 per annum
Newham is perhaps the youngest, most diverse and vibrant local authority in the UK. We are transforming how the Council works to put people at the heart of everything we do and to create better homes and neighbourhoods for our residents. This includes using our major land holding to build the most ambitious Council housebuilding programme in 40 years and focusing investment in our town centres to rebuild after the current crisis.
Over the last decade, Newham has already seen an unprecedented amount of external investment and growth in population, with c.7,500 people joining the borough in 2019 alone. However, despite this, Newham still has some of the poorest neighbourhoods in the country.
To address this head on, we have pledged to deliver 38,000 new homes and 100,000 jobs across the borough, with a commitment to start building over 1,000 new Council homes specifically for social rent by 2022; and have the second highest housing target of any London borough.
About Community Wealth Building
Newham is an ambitious Council looking to be on the front foot in collaborating with its residents and businesses to create a flourishing place. We are adopting a community Wealth Building agenda, underpinned by the principles of economic, social and environmental justice so that long-term prosperity, wellbeing and fairness for all our residents in the borough is achieved and our response to the Climate Emergency is progressed.
Community Wealth Building is an exciting combination of creating the right conditions for residents and businesses to flourish: a stable home, a better neighbourhood, affordable workspace and the skills and access to opportunities to ensure that residents and businesses can make the most of the huge changes that are happening in the borough. We have one of the most ambitious house-building and regeneration programmes in the UK underpinned by significant land ownership, political support, and external and internal sources of funding.
About the role
Project management of the post contract delivery of the Council’s house building programme; to deliver additional supply of council housing in the borough through regeneration, redevelopment and construction of new-build projects in the Affordable Homes for Newham Programme.
To realise the Council’s development aspirations through the successful delivery of a range of development contracts. Act as the lead representative and key project manager of each contract ensuring a quality product is provided for the Council’s residents. Ensure the Council’s requirements are met and the interests of the Council are protected with regard to, but not limited to; contractual compliance, programme management, legal requirements, building control, charging, audit, health and safety, and quality.
To be considered for this position, you will have the following experience:
- Experience of working within a Property Development role, showing a commitment to providing a customer focussed service.
- Experience of GLA standards, requirements, and procedures, with a proven track record of successfully delivering and managing a range of projects.
- Project management of the delivery process of an identified portfolio of new build housing development sites, driving the development process from construction start-on-site to practical completion, and ensuring that schemes are delivered on time and within approved budgets.
- Establishing and maintaining relationships with key external partners, designers, contractors, developers, etc. to construct new affordable housing in line with good procedural, legal and external audit requirements.
- Using effective negotiation skills and sound judgement, to ensure schemes are progressed in a satisfactory manner. Throughout the scheme, manage the consultants and other members of the project team to oversee the construction phase ensuring a quality product is provided for residents. Attending site meetings; reviewing information from Clerk of Works and the Employers Agent; managing the snag and de-snag process as required; identifying when it is appropriate for handovers of homes to occur. Accept the handover of homes in compliance with the contract and in line with forecast timings and anticipated quality standards. At post-handover, ensure the efficient completion of any outstanding works.
If you can match our ambition and have the skills, resilience and experience to make a difference, we want to hear from you.
The London Borough of Newham is a Disability Confident employer. Candidates who declare that they have a disability in accordance with the Equality Act 2010 and meet the essential criteria as specified in the Job Profile will be guaranteed an interview.
The London Borough of Newham is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable groups and expects staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Please be aware that a Disclosure and Barring Scheme (DBS) check will be required for any position with access to these groups under the provision of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
To apply, please visit our website.
Closing date: 30 May 2021.