We are YHA.
We believe in the power of travel and adventure. To connect people to each other, to nature, the outdoors, culture and heritage.
YHA is a 90-year-old social enterprise. Today, the charity makes a difference to more than a million people each year through our 150 hostels, activity centres and leading work in volunteering, traineeships, apprenticeships and youth employment.
We welcome all yet specialise in creating opportunities for young people. We have a thriving schools and groups programme and work with partners to support access for young people and families with challenging lives.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an enthusiastic and self-motivated individual to join our Property team as Regional Buildings Surveyor – North West & Lakes. In this role you will help deliver a programme of high volume, low value asset protection and cyclical maintenance projects along with large capital investment projects up to hostels within the region. This role is field based and qualifies for our car allowance.
You’ll ensure an appropriate range of contractors are supporting the network and that best value is achieved. Developing and maintaining relationships with key stakeholders, intermediaries and business colleagues, you’ll ensure operating and business plan objectives are met in all areas.
What we’re looking for:
Our people share a common purpose: to improve the health, wellbeing and life chances of all, but especially young people facing adversity and challenges.
To achieve this, we subscribe to a set of core values and behaviours: HEART. Helpful, Efficient, Authentic, Respectful and Team-Spirited.
You can find out more here: https://jobs.yha.org.uk/life-at-yha/people-values-behaviours/
The ideal candidate for the Regional Buildings Surveyor – North West & Lakes will have:
- MRICS qualified (Building Surveying or Project Management) or similar i.e. CIOB.
- Experience of leading multi-disciplinary teams delivering refurbishment projects across a diverse range of properties.
- Proven ability of delivering/managing responsive repairs, cyclical repairs and planned maintenance programmes.
- Proven ability to manage internal and external project teams to deliver development and repairs programmes.
- Conveys information clearly, accurately and convincingly both orally and in writing. Recognizes the importance of listening to and understanding the needs of others
- Current full driving license and live within reasonable reach of the region
- ICT literate, including use of e-mail, word processing and spreadsheet applications.
What you’ll be doing:
The Regional Building Surveyor – North West & Lakes key role responsibilities are:
- To lead on and deliver a range minor building refurbishment projects, taking into account operational requirements and those of key stakeholders in addition to budgetary and programme constraints.
- To be responsible for developments on site ensuring that development works are costed and contractors tenders received to YHA requirements, all approvals are gained ahead of works commencing, all orders are raised and all meetings controlled to ensure quality information flows to key stakeholders, ensuring project briefs are maintained.
- Working in conjunction with internal and external stakeholders, develop, communicate, maintain and protect YHA assets through online purchase ordering tools.
- Ensure that the projects follow the YHA processes, procedures, standards and regulations.
- Ensure that all development specifications, contracts and designs meet corporate, legal and regulatory standards.
- To complete risk management tools as required and adhere procedures to assist in delivery of projects.
- Provide technical support to the SSHEQ and Estates Team and where required.
- To maintain ongoing level of standard specifications and designs to ensure best value.
What you’ll get in return:
Working for a charity such as YHA can be extremely rewarding in itself, however, we also have a generous benefits package.
You can find out more here: https://jobs.yha.org.uk/life-at-yha/benefits-and-rewards/
As the role of Regional Buildings Surveyor – North West & Lakes is field based there will be a car allowance available for the successful candidate plus business mileage expenses paid. For a full list of the hostels that this regional role covers please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the title RBS North West Hostel list
We do reserve the right to close this advertisement early if we receive a high volume of suitable applications.
Please Note: to become an employee at YHA you must produce the correct ID for Right to Work in the UK and all DBS checks. Successful applicants must produce a satisfactory DBS check before a start date can be confirmed and before you can reside in our staff accommodation. We will ensure you receive your contract before your confirmed start date. YHA is committed to safeguarding and ensuring the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment. The suitability of all prospective employees or volunteers will be assessed during our safer recruitment process in line with this commitment.