FORESTRY AND LAND SCOTLAND
Job Title: Assistant Area Land Agent - 1 Position
Ae, Scotland, DG1 1QB: Newton Stewart, Scotland, DG8 6AJ: Peebles, Scotland, EH45 8NB: Straiton, Scotland, KA19 7NG: Selkirk, Scotland, TD7 5NY.
Salary: £35,684 - £38,453 plus benefits
The Estate Development (ED) team is tasked with leading on non-forestry commercial activities through the delivery of diversified income streams throughout the national forests and land to support FLS long-term business sustainability. In fulfilling this role, ED manages a wide range of commercial activity including renewable energy developments, communication masts, mineral extraction, residential property, agricultural leases and the acquisition and disposal of land. These activities generate an annual gross revenue income of circa (c) £16 million and ED has a remit to grow this further.
In contributing to the overall asset management of Scotland’s national forests and land, ED works and collaborates with colleagues within other FLS functions, in particular with the Land Management team and the Finance team. Our team of professionals provide specialist property advice and land agency services across the business.
We are looking to recruit an Assistant Area Land Agent to join our team in the South Region, an area which extends from the Tweed valley in the East through Dumfries & Borders, parts of Ayrshire, Galloway and to Arran in the West. You will report directly to one of the two Area Land Agents in the Region, working closely with both to meet team objectives. You will be additionally supported by the Land Agency Programme Manager within the ED team.
There is dedicated administration support to the land agency team within the Region as well as local colleagues that you will work with including our building surveyor, foresters, forest planners, civil engineers and our recreation and visitor services staff. You will also liaise as required with our national team colleagues.
The post will ideally be based in either our Glentress, Selkirk or Ae offices in the East of the Region but it might be possible to be based elsewhere in the South Region.
The role will involve regular travel across the South Region with occasional visits to other sites and offices. Occasional overnight stays may be required, for example if attending training events.
- Support the Area Land Agents in the effective management of the let estate and portfolio of agreements, servitudes and wayleaves.
- Assist the Area Land Agents to drive value from the non-forested estate, identifying opportunities to unlock its full potential.
- Establish and manage relationships with agreement-holders and monitor/manage compliance with the agreement obligations.
- Under direction and support of the Area Land Agents, negotiate and complete new agreements, licences, wayleaves, servitudes and small sales, liaising with the internal specialist teams and stakeholders and appointing and managing external consultants as appropriate.
- Seek to ensure all Estate Development assets are used as effectively as possible; proactively identifying and developing opportunities for surplus assets and driving value from retained assets.
- As directed by the Area Land Agents, actively manage the FLS’s geographic information system (Forester Web) tool for agreements as the primary agreement management tool and record of agreement data.
- Interpret legal documentation and other sources of data.
- Action small rationalisation sales and excambions (e.g. boundary adjustments) and assist the Acquisition and Disposals team on larger cases as required.
- Work with the Area Land Agents to identify and negotiate heads of claims for compensation events arising from utility projects and other 3rd party agreements on the estate, appointing and managing external consultants as appropriate.
- Dispute resolution with tenants and neighbours and manage liability claims, understanding where circumstances fall outside your own skills and experience.
- Procure and manage professional services from external contractors as appropriate using existing framework contracts.
- Promote and embrace health, safety and wellbeing whereby it is integrated into “business as usual”.
- Lead and support specific projects and initiatives at Regional and Organisational level as required.
- Rent and debt management.
- Identify opportunities for enhancing income and reducing costs.
- Effectively work with support staff to facilitate delivery of all key work areas.
For more information and to apply, please visit our website, via the 'Apply' button.
Please quote ref 113694.
Closing date: 23 May 2021 at 23:55.
No recruitment agencies please.
We are committed to providing equal opportunities for all sectors of our diverse community.