London Borough of Hounslow Building Control
Would you like to be a part of The London Borough of Hounslow, whose diverse workforce are committed to making a positive difference for our residents and visitors by ensuring the quality of our services are maintained to a high standard?
The Council is embarking upon a major programme of change to modernise the way we work and reduce our carbon footprint. We’ve moved to Hounslow House, a new landmark building located in Hounslow town centre, our new technology will enable staff to work remotely and flexibly to improve the service we provide to residents and to help our staff achieve a better work/life balance.
The Corporate Property & Building Services directorate is responsible for the Council’s Property Portfolio, including Asset Strategy & Investment Planning, Programme Delivery, Property Compliance and Building Services.
Following a review and organisational restructuring, we are seeking to recruit a number of roles across the service to support the introduction and delivery of the Council’s Corporate Landlord Model.
As Building Control Team Manager, you will lead an area team within the Building Control service to carry out examinations and inspections of Building Regulation submissions, plans and site work to ensure building works comply with Building Regulations, including some administrative work. You will also manage the allocation of projects to officers with the appropriate level of experience and make sure consultations and liaison with other sections and departments are undertaken. You will ensure this is done within set deadlines and to a good standard.
Key Responsibilities (no more than 4 points)
1. Provision of an efficient and well managed Building Control team to ensure all Building Regulations Applications (Full Plans, Building Notices, Regularisations and Reversion Applications are checked, inspected and completed to ensure compliance with Building Regulations and all relevant British Standards.
2. Carrying out efficient and regular Building Regulation inspections of a complex nature and report accurately relating to any projects and compiling accurate reports, also instructing site personnel to ensure compliance with the Building Regulations.
3. To keep up-to-date with knowledge of relevant codes of practice, new materials and construction methods and to investigate the suitability of such materials and methods.
4. Where necessary, instructing and advising Senior Building Surveyors, Building Surveyors, Graduate Surveyors and Engineer on the interpretation and implementation of legislation and appropriate administrative work.
Your Skills (no more than 4 points)
1. Have proven ability to communicate with professional and technical people both within and outside the Council.
2. Be able to examine complex plans for compliance with all aspects of the Building Regulations.
3. Be able to provide expert advice and assistance on Building Control matters.
4. Be able to lead and motivate and lead staff.
Essential for The Role:
Full corporate membership of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors or the Chartered Association of Building Engineers, or similar Professional Institution membership at corporate level involving a significant Building Control element.
This post is considered by the authority to be a customer-facing position; as such it falls within scope of the Code of Practice on English language requirement for public sector workers. The council therefore has a statutory duty under Part 7 of the Immigration Act 2016 to ensure that post holders have a command of spoken English sufficient for the effective performance of the job requirements. The appropriate standards are set out in the employee specification.
It is our practice that any offer of employment will be made at the bottom of our pay scale.
Closing date: 31.05.21
In order to apply, please use the Jobs, Career and Adult Learning Portal on the London Borough of Hounslow Website and search for the relevant role.