London Borough of Hounslow Building Control
Would you like to be a part of The London Borough of Hounslow, whose diverse workforce are committed to making a positive difference for our residents and visitors by ensuring the quality of our services are maintained to a high standard?
The Council is embarking upon a major programme of change to modernise the way we work and reduce our carbon footprint. We’ve moved to Hounslow House, a new landmark building located in Hounslow town centre, our new technology will enable staff to work remotely and flexibly to improve the service we provide to residents and to help our staff achieve a better work/life balance.
The Corporate Property & Building Services directorate is responsible for the Council’s Property Portfolio, including Asset Strategy & Investment Planning, Programme Delivery, Property Compliance and Building Services.
Following a review and organisational restructuring, we are seeking to recruit a number of roles across the service to support the introduction and delivery of the Council’s Corporate Landlord Model.
As Senior Building Control Surveyor, you will carry out the examination and inspection of Building Regulation submissions, plans and site work to ensure building works comply with Building Regulations, including some administrative work.
Key Responsibilities (no more than 4 points)
1. Carry out efficient and regular Building Regulation inspections in relation to the appropriately complex projects and to compile accurate records.
2. Keep accurate and fully detailed records of all site inspections, instructions, discussions, etc., suitable for defending the Council’s position in respect of a claim for negligence.
3. Comply with appropriate Health and Safety at Work legislation and to co-operate with management regarding the implementation and maintenance of Health and Safety requirements.
4. Instructing and advising Assistant Building Control Surveyors and trainees on the interpretation and implementation of legislation and appropriate administrative work.
Your Skills (no more than 4 points)
1. Proven ability to communicate with professional and technical people both within and outside the Council.
2. Ability to organise and co-ordinate tasks to meet agreed work programmes and deadlines.
3. Ability to provide expert advice and assistance on Building Control matters.
4. Be aware of the need to maintain confidentiality of records and other information.
Essential for The Role:
Full corporate membership of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors or the Association of Building Engineers, or similar Professional Institution membership at corporate level involving a significant Building Control element.
This post is considered by the authority to be a customer-facing position; as such it falls within scope of the Code of Practice on English language requirement for public sector workers. The council therefore has a statutory duty under Part 7 of the Immigration Act 2016 to ensure that post holders have a command of spoken English sufficient for the effective performance of the job requirements. The appropriate standards are set out in the employee specification.
It is our practice that any offer of employment will be made at the bottom of our pay scale.
Closing date: 31.05.21
Please apply at the following link:
In order to apply, please use the Jobs, Career and Adult Learning Portal on the London Borough of Hounslow Website and search for the relevant role.