An exciting opportunity has arisen to join Barnsley Metropolitan Council as a Group Leader – Estates based in Barnsley. You will join us on a full-time, permanent basis, working 37 hours per week, and in return, you will receive a competitive salary of £52,980 - £57,596 per annum.
About the role:
It’s exciting times at Barnsley, with the new £200 million Glassworks Development having opened recently and numerous other initiatives in and around the Borough in progress or up and running.
With a land and property portfolio of c2,500 assets and a book value of £0.5 billion we’re looking for a dynamic Group Leader – Estates to join the Property and Assets Team; someone who can provide strong and dynamic leadership to a team of experienced property professionals and deliver on the Council’s strategic property ambitions and existing statutory duties.
As a strategic thinker who has the ability to translate vision into practice, the new Group Leader – Estates will look to build on existing successes whilst bringing their own ideas and style. As a RICS qualified Surveyor with ability to participate in the RICS Registered Valuation scheme they will be able to demonstrate a broad experience and understanding of land and property transactional work. S/he will also see property as an enabler of all our work to deliver homes, jobs and inclusive economic growth for all our residents and help develop strong and sustainable communities.
Although previous Local Government experience, in a similar role, would be advantageous it is not essential - we would encourage someone with a private sector background to consider the position too. We are looking for someone with strong commercial acumen who understands how our property portfolio can be managed and leveraged to create economic, social and cultural value for the Council and the borough.
Responsibilities of our Group Leader – Estates include:
- Leading on the management of complex cross cutting service projects, co-ordinating resources and ensuring that they are effectively planned and managed to deliver a customer focused service and
- corporate outcomes.
- Providing strategic leadership and budgetary control procedures ensuring all are incorporated into the development of service strategies, polices and plans
- Providing strong leadership to develop a high performing team and a positive business culture to ensure the efficient and effective delivery of a comprehensive and innovative service.
- Leading and fostering effective internal and external relationships working with other business units, partners and stakeholders to ensure the provision and delivery of a joined up services and the delivery of the Council's key objectives.
- Providing unbiased professional advice, guidance and support to internal and external stakeholders including the Senior Management Team and Council Members on all aspects of the strategic and operational delivery of the service.
- Leading and being responsible for the accurate valuation of the asset portfolio for accounting and management purposes and the signature of all valuation reports and end of year valuation certificates.
- Direct responsibility for developing and driving innovative and creative approaches to maximising capital and revenue income and minimising capital and revenue costs from the review, rationalisation, disposal and management of all the Council’s property holdings.
- Preparing capital and revenue estimates for acquisition, disposal and leasing of all types of Council owned and purchased property.
- Leading, managing and undertaking all land and property negotiations on behalf of the Council.
- Leading and promoting the development of new schools based on strategic (pupil place) planning, promoting choice and diversity and developing a marketplace of school provision borough-wide.
- Leading and directing the planning of improvements to learning environments
- Leading and directing education asset management planning and statutory returns to government.
- Complying with, promoting, leading and managing all aspects of the Council Governance Framework as it relates to the responsibilities of the post.
- Implementing and monitoring service delivery which is customer focused and to analyse and benchmark management information including national and local performance indicators, council strategic priorities and other aligned national regulatory and assessment regimes as appropriate.
To achieve your ambitions while shaping a bright future for our communities, apply now to become our Group Leader – Estates by submitting an application form today through our website.