SENIOR PROJECT MANAGER (Construction)
£55,067 - £60,416
37 hours per week
This is an exciting opportunity to join our Construction and Maintenance Team as a Senior Project Manager at a time when Bath and North East Somerset (B&NES) Council is undertaking a period of significant capital investment in a diverse range of unique and challenging projects.
We offer flexible working and are open minded in structuring working arrangements to suit the right candidates who have extensive experience in leading construction projects from inception to completion and can manage and inspire our growing team of project professionals.
Our team is currently working on projects with a combined value in excess of £100M. These include a number of school expansion projects, waste and recycling depot redevelopment schemes, significant public realm projects, including high street regeneration, major office refurbishments and innovative renewable installations together with a rolling programme of refurbishment and development schemes across our commercial estate. Our estate includes a large number of listed and historic buildings, ancient monuments and registered historic parks and gardens within the World Heritage setting including the Roman Baths and Pulteney Bridge. As part of our climate and nature emergency commitments over the coming years, sustainability, new ways of working and renewable energy are part of our construction delivery policy.
We are looking for applicants with significant experience of technical construction project management at a senior or management level, to lead by example supporting a small team of project managers to deliver a diverse programme of works, from small value to multi million pound new build construction.
Working as part of the wider Place Management team, which also has responsibility for Highways, Parking, Public Protection, Building Control and Environmental Management, you will need to be a team player who will take personal responsibility for advising a diverse clientele across the council at project briefing and feasibility, through to delivery of complex construction projects on budget and to programme with an emphasis on minimal future and ‘in use’ maintenance and revenue expenditure.
- Flexible working – location and working pattern
- Generous holiday allowance & special leave provisions
- Local Government Pension Scheme
- Competitive salary package
- A comprehensive induction, training, and development programme
- Discount scheme – travel, restaurants, shops, and services to name but a few
- Employee Assistance Programme – to support Health & Wellbeing
Reporting to the Head of Construction, Maintenance & FM the post holder will be responsible for determining and implementing strategies for all aspects of the delivery of assigned projects, administering contracts, and supervising, supporting and nurturing a small team of in-house project managers, coordinators, and consultants.
The Senior Project Manager will be responsible for the client-side project management and delivery of a range of construction projects across the estate from inception to completion, including undertaking all aspects of contract administration for the respective projects.
The post holder will be expected to:
- Support service areas to review their requirements and prepare the client brief
- Support the identification and delivery of commercial opportunities and address risks
- Prepare and interrogate financial appraisals
- Procure, appoint, manage, and control external consultants and contractors for a range of project values.
- Lead and influence both internal and external Project Directors and Project Managers on specific tasks.
- Influence at all levels both within the authority and with external stakeholders
- Operate on developments of up to £30m+
- Support and manage a team of project managers, coordinators, and team support staff.
- Act as construction expert preparing and delivering presentations and deliver briefings to Cabinet / Senior Management, Project Sponsors and Stakeholders.
You will have a strong technical background and extensive experience in leading multiple construction projects from inception to completion, having dealt with a wide range of complex contractual, technical, and organisational issues. You will have the ability to persuade, influence and negotiate with others whether operative or senior leader of a range of stakeholder organisations, and you will have demonstrable experience in successfully resolving complex disputes. Experience of delivering public realm, and renewables projects would be an advantage.
This is a challenging role that will require an individual with exceptional people skills who can demonstrate:
- Extensive post qualification experience of delivering significant and high-profile capital construction projects.
- Educated to degree level in a relevant sector specific subject e.g. Construction Management, Building Surveying, Civil Engineering, Architecture or Building Engineering Services.
- Experience of managing a broad range of large, complex, multi-stakeholder projects
- Significant experience of managing large budgets.
- Practical knowledge of project management tools and systems.
- Sound commercial management skills and understanding of the standard form of Construction Contracts (particularly NEC)
- Experience of managing a procurement process that complies with Public Procurement regulations and OJEU rules.
- Excellent communications, literacy, numeracy, and presentation skills.
- Proficiency in the use and application of standard MS products and management tools (e.g. Asta)
Interested to find out more?
If you are interested in this post and require more details after reading the job description, or just to talk through the role and what's involved, please email email@example.com to arrange an informal chat.
To apply, please visit our website at www.bathnes.gov.uk/jobs. Alternatively, you can telephone 01225 396409 (24 hours), quoting the reference number and job title for a paper application pack. Please note we do not accept stand-alone CV’s.
Closing date: 24th October 2021.