DIO - Estate Surveyor
Ministry of Defence
Apply before: 11:55 pm on Sunday 17th October 2021
This post offers a Market Skills Allowance of; Location - £2,000.00 OR MRICS/FRICS Qualified - £4,000.00 + substantial pension and benefits.
Contract type: Permanent
Business area: MOD - Defence Infrastructure Organisation - COO - Estates - North
Type of role: Estates, Property, Surveying
Working pattern: Flexible working, Full-time, Job share, Part-time
Number of posts: 2
Location: Huntingdon, PE28 2EA
About the job Summary
Join the Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO) and have a future that matters: Be proud; Be challenged; Be unique.
Are you a motivated suitably experienced property professional, who enjoys working within a fast paced, diverse environment and has a passion to be stretched and challenged with a range of varied responsibilities?
If so, this is the job for you!
As an Estate Surveyor within the DIO Estates Division your work will contribute to the teams Delivery Program. The MOD Estate is wide and varied, including ranges, training areas, military establishments, listed buildings, sites of internationally significant conservation value, commercial enterprises, working farms and residential properties. On this unique Estate, no two days will be the same.
This is an excellent opportunity to join the established DIO Land Management Services Team (LMS) and the wider Estate’s network of highly skilled Surveyors, delivering professional advice to a wide range of customers.
As a customer focused property professional you will bring experience and understanding of Surveying to the DIO Role and will assist the Senior Estate Surveyors in achieving the regional Estates Delivery Programme which includes; negotiating new lease agreements, rent reviews, lease renewals and liaising with Military customers over other property related matters such as boundary disputes and estate rationalisation opportunities.
We are seeking a highly motivated individual with the ability to plan and manage all aspects of their LMS programme. Experience and passion for teamwork and attention to detail is essential to ensure understanding and all relevant processes and operating procedures are applied.
Holding excellent communication skills, you will be involved in providing a high-quality customer service and expert professional advice to our customers.
Successful candidates will become members of the Government Property Profession, with benefits including: opportunities for Government and industry-led CPD events; access to a diverse community of property professionals across government for sharing knowledge and ideas; and a comprehensive career framework and learning and development curriculum to support your career journey.
Please note one of the available posts won’t become available until November 2021 for the successful candidate to commence employment following completion of all pre-employment checks.
The posts will be located at RAF Wyton.
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic most employees are currently working from home, as these restrictions ease the post holder may be expected to work a combination of home and office-based working. All employees will be provided with IT equipment to facilitate remote working.
We employ approximately 4,900 staff from a very diverse range of professions, and we work across the world; in Germany, Cyprus and the Falkland Islands, Norway, Poland, Kenya, Belize, Nepal and Oman.
You can view our YouTube video to see more about our work
Leadership and Management within Estates
• Manage their resources/team in accordance with the DIO Values
• Demonstrate a personal dedication to the DIO Values
• Provide leadership for the team/section and /or function
• Develop team members and assist Line Managers in delivering Departmental goals
• Ensure compliance with mandatory and professional training requirements
• Promote collaborative working practices with all team members, customers and partners
• Assist Senior Estate Surveyor/functional manager in the development of a programme of LMS outputs and support
• Regularly review and assess progress against programme, taking corrective action or re-prioritising as appropriate
• Deliver agreed programmes to customers within their delegate budgets
• Provide comprehensive advice and estate management consultancy service.
Collaboration and Customer Management
• Contribute to the development and maintenance of local and national Customers and client’s engagement to build effective relationships in support of the management and development of the MOD Estate
Professional Advice to DIO
• Deliver timely and accurate professional input, advice and support to parliamentary, Freedom of Information (FOI), secretariat business and general inquiries
• Provide estate consultancy and support to strategic programmes including estate rationalisation and re-provision opportunities
• Responsible for assistance in relation to contracted out delivery of LMS programme and advice
• Support customers in managing and operating within their delegated budgets
Post holders will be required to travel to the sites covered by the post on a regular basis and some visits may involve overnight stays. Some sites are difficult to access via public transport.
About our Team
Estates are the in-house real estate team within DIO advising our customers on current and future infrastructure needs. We acquire, manage, safeguard and dispose of the Defence real estate.
Our unique customer knowledge and insight of the Defence Estate enables our in-house team of chartered surveyors, town planners, registered valuers and technical staff to provide in-depth advice, adding value to our customers, delivering programmes across England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and Overseas. This includes but is not limited to: property advice, safeguarding, byelaws, rationalisation programmes, acquisitions, disposals, lease management, accommodation programmes, commercialisation initiatives, rating, valuation programmes and the management of the tenanted estate.
Estates have four delivery teams, Acquisitions & Disposals (A&D) - delivering the Acquisitions & Disposals Programme, Accommodation Optimisation Team (AOT) providing strategic accommodation advice and support, Land Management Services (LMS) – providing a comprehensive land, estate and property management service and Safeguarding – protecting specific assets and operational capabilities.
Land Management Services (LMS)
LMS are accountable and responsible for the delivery of all Land Management Services to our military customers. Roles include acquisition and management of leases and licences, and safeguarding and protecting operational capabilities against neighbouring development, valuations and business rates advice, and production of Byelaws to ensure operational activities are not hindered and general estate management (including grazing licences, agricultural tenancies etc) and property management, including Landlord and Tenant.
Estates deliver a comprehensive estate surveying, Subject Matter Expert (SME) service to all areas of DIO business including Accommodation & the Training Estate, in the UK & overseas & external stakeholders. Delivery is via in-house service delivery teams of Chartered Surveyors & experienced technical support staff, with limited support from Industry Partners. This includes demonstration of effective stewardship of the defence estate & discharge of Department of State responsibilities.
Travel may be required to carry out site visits where you may go on MOD Establishments, residential estates, building sites, agricultural land, training areas and firing ranges etc. The successful Candidate will need to comply with DIO H&S Policies and Procedures.
A full driving licence. Post holders will be required to travel to the sites covered by the post on a regular basis and some sites are difficult to access via public transport.
Desirable Experience & Skills
A relevant Estate Surveying degree or equivalent qualification
Full Membership of an appropriate estates professional body (Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors - MRICS/FRICS or equivalent)
Full Driving Licence
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Managing a Quality Service
- Communicating and Influencing
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Government Property Profession Career Framework – Technical Skills - Application of Knowledge and Expertise - Skill Level 3
- Government Property Profession Career Framework – Technical Skills - Professional Practice - Skill Level 3
We only ask for evidence of these technical skills on your application form:
- Government Property Profession Career Framework – Technical Skills - Application of Knowledge and Expertise - Skill Level 3
We enable our people to work at the right place, with the right people, at the right time.
We believe that if we look after our people, they will be passionate about delivering great things for our customers.
We understand the importance of life outside of work and our industry leading flexible working practices, digital technology and modern workspaces will give you the opportunity to enjoy a healthy work-life balance.
The MOD Discover My Benefits page lists the full set of benefits. Some of the many benefits you will receive include:
• Highly competitive Pension Scheme
• Flexi-time scheme
• Alternative working practices such as working from home
• 25 days annual leave rising (1 day per year) to 30 days upon completion of 5 years’ service
• Ability to roll over up to 10 days annual leave per year
• In addition to 8 public holidays per year you will also receive leave for HM The Queen’s birthday
• Minimum of 15 Days Special Leave in a rolling 12-month period to for volunteer military or emergency service reserve commitments
• Special Paid Leave for volunteering up to 6 days a year
• Enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption leave
• Employee Assistance Programme to support your wellbeing
• Most sites have good travel links with free car parking; many also have other facilities such as a Sports & Social Club, Gym and / or site shops
Learning & Development
• Professional and Personal Development of skills
• Access to thousands of training courses through Civil Service Learning, some free or paid by DIO
• Ability to obtain industry recognised qualifications supported by DIO
DIO is passionate about ensuring that we are a top performing organisation and a great place to work. We host a diverse range of talent where everyone feels valued and supported enabling our people to thrive, bring greater creativity and innovation to achieve higher organisational performance. We are committed to be an equal opportunities employer and creating a culture where everyone can bring their whole self to work and individuality is truly appreciated.
We promote and support a range of flexible working patterns enabling staff to balance home and work responsibilities.
This culture of inclusion is underpinned by our 6 staff networks covering Disability, Faith and Belief, Gender Equality, LGBTQI+, Race, Social Mobility and 3 networks dealing with employee wellbeing and support: Speak Safe Volunteers, Mental Health First Aiders and Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Advisers.
Our staff, future and current will be guided by the 4 Cs and we encourage you to be curious and continuously strive for improvement, collaborative in an inclusive culture, ambitious and resilient and committed to Defence, empowered and able to challenge so you can play a key part in shaping the direction of our organisation.
DIO commits to offer its employees the following experience:
• Meaningful, purposeful work
• The ability to learn and grow
• The right opportunities and resources
• To care about your wellbeing
• To feel valued and included
The Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO) is the estate expert for Defence, supporting the armed forces to enable military capability by planning, building, maintaining, and servicing infrastructure.
Our responsibilities include:
• Plan and deliver major capital projects and lifecycle refurbishment
• Provide utilities services
• Manage soft facilities management (i.e. cleaning and catering)
• Provide a safe place to train
• Allocate Service Families Accommodation
• Procure and manage routine maintenance and reactive repair
• Provide a central register of asset information to advise infrastructure planning
• Act as steward of the Defence estate
• Provide the unarmed guarding service
The post advertised is for 37 hours net, however the Ministry of Defence offers a range of flexibilities to enable a better work-life balance for employees. Flexible working, Part-time working and Job Share working patterns will be considered.
This post offers a Market Skills Allowance of; Location - £2,000.00 OR MRICS/FRICS Qualified - £4,000.00
This post does not offer any assistance with relocation allowances.
Please be advised that the Department is conducting a review of all pay related allowances which could impact on those allowances that the post currently being advertised attracts.
Things you need to know Security
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is security check.
See our vetting charter.
People working with government assets must complete basic personnel security standard checks.
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours, Experience and Technical skills.
As a result of the changes to the UK immigration rules which came in to effect on 1 January 2021, the Ministry of Defence will only offer sponsorship for a skilled worker visa under the points based system, where a role has been deemed to be business critical.
The role currently being advertised has not been assessed as business critical and is therefore NOT open to applications from those who will require sponsorship under the points based system. Should you apply for this role and be found to require sponsorship, your application will be rejected and any provisional offer of employment withdrawn.
Please ensure that at the application and interview stages of the campaign you review the Success Profiles Framework to assist you in the demonstration of your skills and experience.
Your suitability for the role will be assessed using the Success Profile elements that have been chosen for this campaign. Each element will be scored accordingly, and the successful candidate will be appointed on merit.
At application you will be assessed against the following:
• CV: Job History
• Personal Statement – Using examples please demonstrate your experience within all aspects of General Estate Management on a wide and varied commercial portfolio:
o Landlord and Tenant – lease negotiations, rent reviews, lease management, tenant relations.
o Rent and debt management.
o Estate utilisation and rationalisation.
o Property Transactions – easements, wayleaves, disposals.
• Government Property Profession Career Framework -Technical Skills:
o 14 Application of Knowledge and Expertise - Skill Level 3
At interview you will be assessed against the above along with the following:
• Government Property Profession Career Framework -Technical Skills:
o 13 Professional Practice - Skill Level 3
• Managing a Quality Service
• Communicating and Influencing
Application sifting is scheduled to take place on week commencing 18th October 2021.
Interviews are currently taking place remotely and will be conducted week commencing 1st November 2021. A minimum of 2 full working days’ notice will be provided for interviews. We endeavor to stick to these dates, but these are subject to change around business needs.
To assist with your application please find attached below:
1. Functional Framework - Government Property Profession Career Framework
For help and support with your application check out our
Civil Service Careers Homepage and the How to apply section
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
This job is broadly open to the following groups:
- UK nationals
- nationals of Commonwealth countries who have the right to work in the UK
- nationals of the Republic of Ireland
- nationals from the EU, EEA or Switzerland with settled or pre-settled status or who apply for either status by the deadline of the European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS)
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals working in the Civil Service
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals who have built up the right to work in the Civil Service
- certain family members of the relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals
Further information on nationality requirements
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Apply and further information
Once this job has closed, the job advert will no longer be available. You may want to save a copy for your records.
Contact point for applicants Job contact : Name : Robert Mcclure Email : email@example.com Telephone : 07773051929 Recruitment team : Email : DBSCivPers-DIOResourcing@mod.gov.uk Further information
Applicants should monitor their Civil Service Jobs application centre regularly for updates.
Some of MoD’s Terms and Conditions of Service (TACOS) changed from 3 February 2014. Those TACOS changes applied to Broader Banded and Skill Zone staff who were new recruits to MoD or who were appointed to a post on substantive promotion, progression or advancement. On the same basis, the TACOS for Departmental Retained Grades changed with effect from 01 September 2014. The document attached to this advertisement provides more information.
All employees joining MOD who are new to the Civil Service will be subject to a 6-month probation period (unless otherwise advised) effective from the employment start date.
Any move to Ministry of Defence from another employer will mean you can no longer access childcare vouchers. This includes moves between government departments. You may however be eligible for other government schemes, including Tax-Free Childcare. Determine your eligibility at www.childcarechoices.gov.uk
If you need to contact Defence Business Services (DBS) regarding this vacancy, please contact the DIO Enhanced Recruitment Team on DBSCivPers-DIOResourcing@mod.gov.uk
Please be aware that the selection and interviewing of applicants is the responsibility of the Recruiting Line Manager (RLM) and not the Defence Business Services (DBS) Resourcing team. DBS do not play any part in the selection and interview process.
Therefore, if you wish to discuss your feedback, or you are dissatisfied with your markings, you should in the first instance raise this with the Recruiting Line Manager of the vacancy.
If you are dissatisfied with the service you have received from DBS, or believe that DBS has failed to follow the recruitment process in line with the Civil Service Commission principles of selection for appointment on merit on the basis of Fair and Open competition, you can raise a formal complaint. by writing to DBS at the following address:
Defence Business Services, Scanning Hub, PO Box 38, Cheadle Hulme, SK8 7NU
If after raising your complaint with DBS you remain dissatisfied you can complain directly to the Civil Service Commission at the following address:
Civil Service commission, Room G/8, 1 Horse Guards Road, London, SW1A 2HQ
Or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Cabinet Office Fraud Checks
Applicants who are successful at interview will be, as part of pre-employment screening, subject to a check on the Internal Fraud Database (IFD). This check will provide information about employees who have been dismissed for fraud or dishonesty offences. This check also applies to employees who resign or otherwise leave before being dismissed for fraud or dishonesty had their employment continued. Any applicant whose details are found to be held on the IFD will be refused employment
Civil Service Recruitment Principles
Please see the link below for the civil service recruitment principles.
To find out a bit more about what it’s like working for MOD, visit the Civil Service Careers Website
Please see the MOD Privacy Notice link below which describes how we will use your personal data, explains your rights and gives you information you are entitled to under Data Protection legislation.
There will be no reimbursement for any travel expenses for the interview.