Southwark Cathedral has been a place of Christian worship for over 1400 years. Now it stands on the vibrant and exciting regenerated south bank of the Thames surrounded by cultural venues such as Tate Modern, The Globe and Borough Market, the offices of major companies as well as schools and diverse residential communities. Our commercial activities are vital to the running of the Cathedral and need to complement and be in sympathy with our core mission statement. The Chapter is committed to our vision statement:
Southwark Cathedral - an inclusive Christian community growing in orthodox faith and radical love.
The Head of Property & Estates is a new role and will have overall responsibility for the fabric, maintenance and safety of Southwark Cathedral and its site, and for the strategic management of and income from its wider Estate in the surrounding area. The Head of Property & Estates has a key leadership role in the overall management of Southwark Cathedral’s site and estates. There are six core aspects to this: -
- Leadership in structuring, resourcing, and leading the Property Department to ensure that regular maintenance and specific projects and programmes of work are properly resourced and delivered.
- Managing the maintenance and conservation of the Cathedral and its wider site (Cathedral church, site buildings and Churchyard) including in relation to the fabric, building services, engineering systems, utilities, security and grounds and the supervision of the planned maintenance of the Cathedral Fabric to deliver the recommendations of the Quinquennial Inspection report.
- Overseeing the management of the Cathedral’s existing property investment and development portfolio.
- Managing, monitoring, and reporting as requested on the departmental budget and programme delivery within it.
- Effecting and managing a robust and proactive culture to meet statutory obligations in relation to Health & Safety, Government’s PROTECT initiative etc.
- Embedding and driving sustainability as of core importance to all the above, with particular emphasis on the Cathedral’s work towards meeting the Church of England’s carbon neutral goals.
Some of the Person Specifications required for this role:
- Degree in a relevant subject or discipline and/or Chartered Membership of an established professional association, eg: RICS, CIOB
- Effective operational leader of the site-based maintenance team
- Ability to work in a complex organisation with multiple stakeholders
- Significant post-qualification experience in building and construction
- Able to demonstrate strategic vision for the Cathedral’s Estate and rental properties.
Please apply by visiting www.thewlisgraham.com/assignment-briefings and following the instructions in the candidate brief quoting reference Y1001. The closing date is 5pm on 11th November 2021.
For a confidential conversation with Sarah Thewlis or for any other information please email firstname.lastname@example.org