Senior Development Manager
To play a key role in the commercial property, land, development, planning and disposal aspects of complex property based regeneration projects within the Garden City with an initial focus on projects within the Northfleet area including Grove Road and in the Thames Way Development Area.
The role will provide commercial property, development, delivery and complex negotiation expertise throughout all stages of the development lifecycle, in order to drive forward the delivery of key projects.
The role may also provide support to other project managers across a range of other projects within the EDC Investment Programme as and when required.
The postholder will report to the Head of Development – Programme Areas.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Management of identified regeneration projects, including at Grove Road and Northfleet Embankment West, through their development lifecycle (Business Case update, planning, land acquisition, CPO - through to Development Partner Procurement and land disposal).
- Management of and the negotiation of land and property interests, and where required the delivery of the CPO process.
- Provide commercial property and housing expertise into the formulation of development and disposal strategies.
- Management and coordination of external consultants across the development lifecycle with a specific focus on development delivery options, scheme viability testing, funding options and commercial deal structuring.
- Manage teams of external advisors and consultants including preparing briefs, budget control, providing day to day instruction and due diligence.
- Liaise with potential development partners and investors to encourage strong market interest in Ebbsfleet Garden City, and reflect market demand in future development and disposal strategies.
- Manage developer procurement and selection processes, and oversee and manage ongoing development implementation by third parties.
Liaising with the Corporation’s Asset and Facilities Manager as required on matters associated with the sites. N.B.// The responsibilities of this role will not include day-to-day property management issues which are the responsibility of the Corporation’s Asset and Facilities Manager.
- Identification, negotiation and securing of income generating opportunities for the sites aligned with EDC objectives.
- Prepare advice and reports as required to Directors, Infrastructure and Investment Panel, Project Boards and EDC Board.
- Support the development of relevant Business Cases through EDC internal approval processes and Government – DLUHC/ HMT approvals.
- Manage and report on project level financial budgets; maintaining appropriate records and ensuring full transparency, liaising closely with the Programme Management function within the Projects Team.
Other Relevant Information:
The post holder should act flexibly and undertake other duties and responsibilities which may be relevant to the purpose of the job in support of wider organisational priorities.
Either MRICS qualified with a minimum of 5 years post qualification experience or equivalent experience gained from a minimum of 5 years in a position of responsibility within the regeneration or development sectors.
- Experience of driving forward and delivering major mixed use developments and large scale regeneration, preferably in a public/private sector partnership environment
- Demonstrable experience of managing complex land assets and unlocking legal and commercial arrangements to facilitate re-development.
- High levels of commercial acumen and proven negotiation skills, including negotiating property transactions with third parties.
- Experience of instructing and managing multi-disciplinary professional teams on development projects.
- Experience of managing and coordinating developer procurement and selection processes.
- Experience and understanding of development appraisal techniques and the factors that affect viability.
- A good understanding of the full development cycle, including identification and assessment of development objectives, delivery options and project funding.
- Excellent programme management skills with an ability to bring multiple workstreams together to ensure positive forward progress.
- Ability to think innovatively and to devise solutions for issues constraining development.
- Experience of developing and maintaining budgets, programmes and risk registers to ensure effective reporting and project management discipline.
- Excellent inter-personal skills, including the ability to engage effectively with a range of stakeholders and partners.
- Ability to work on own initiative, with the ability to manage own time effectively.
- Experience of working within a team environment.
- Project Management qualification
- HMT Treasury Business Case development
- Some experience of landlord and tenant matters would be beneficial.
Recruitment and Selection Process
How to apply
All candidates MUST complete and submit the following:
- A copy of your CV (no more than 3 pages)
- A covering letter explaining your suitability for the role, and importantly including how you meet the essential criteria above (no more than 3 pages)
The following should also be submitted:
- Diversity Monitoring Questionnaire (see below)
- Guaranteed Interview Scheme Form – if applicable (see below)
Your completed application should be returned by 12 midday on Tuesday 9 November by email to James Richardson at email@example.com
Interviews will take place on the morning of Thursday 25 November.