Chartered Building Surveyor Job Overview
Due to a forthcoming retirement, our Client is looking for a Chartered Building Surveyor to become an integral part of the team. Working predominantly in the Brighton and Hove area, with additional travelling across Sussex. Reporting to the senior management team, you will directly influence colleague engagement and fulfilment and thereby increase productivity and client satisfaction. The role offers an opportunity for the right candidate to further develop the business and progress within the company
Salary range: In the region of £55K, dependent upon experience. Company mobile phone and payment of RICS subscriptions, if applicable.
Employee benefits package: Flexible working, training, company pension contribution, employee recognition/reward scheme, team building events, cycle to work scheme, free eye test voucher, Employee Assistance, community activities. 25 Days annual leave. Support with training / CPD and career development.
The successful candidate will demonstrate the following:
- Qualified Chartered Building Surveyor (MRICS or FRICS).
- Experience in CAD drawings preferable.
- Design capability.
- Practise in local authority applications and approval, including to Heritage properties.
- Experience in acting as the building owner's and adjoining owner's surveyor in regards to party wall matters is essential.
- Able to undertake preparation of specifications and contract administration work and to act as the principal designer under CDM 2015 regulations.
- Able to undertake defect investigation reports.
- Able to undertake and assist with insurance reinstatement cost assessments is preferable, but not essential.
- Experience of mentoring, or acting as counsellor, for APC students is preferable, but not essential.
- Ability to prioritise workload and work under pressure.
- A good team player - willingness to share knowledge and support other colleagues as required.
- Accountable - take personal responsibility for successfully resolving matters.
- Thorough - pay attention to detail.
- Commitment - take pride in your own work and care about your own and your team's performance.
- Mature - take a calm, measured, common-sense approach to situations.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Preparation of Condition Surveys and Specifications of Works
- Building pathology inspections and reports
- Submitting of applications for listed building consent, planning approval and building regulation approval.
- Preparation of costed planned preventative maintenance schedules
- Being responsible for the Supervision of Works and acting as the Contract Administrator and Principal Designer
- Certifying the payment of monies to contractors for completed works
- Issuing relevant Legal Notices including lessee consultation procedures relating to proposed works and dealing with enquiries raised
- Preparation of Reinstatement Cost Assessment Valuations and liaising with the insurers is essential.
- Carry out work in association with The Party Wall etc Act 1996 is essential.
- Dealing with general day-to-day correspondence and telephone calls
- Maintaining property and tenant/lessee/client records on the office system
- To be responsible for some Building Surveying work in connection with Property Management
- To form contacts and links to other fields of work, or a passion to work towards, bringing in new business.
- Reporting - report to senior management team regularly regarding any issues or concerns.
These are the key responsibilities of the role. There will be other general duties associated with the position.
To be eligible, a candidate must be legally able to work in the UK and have a full, 'clean' driving licence.
Appropriate training / CPD will be provided and excellent career progression opportunities are available for the right candidate.