Starting salary £36,389 per annum and a generous benefits package
Full time, Part Time, Job Share permanent vacancy based in Peterborough
We are looking for a motivated and enthusiastic individual to provide professional Estates expertise across all aspects of the Environment Agency’s business. You will be involved in a wide variety of surveying work, keeping your days varied and interesting while building your knowledge and experience.
You will be the surveying expert working collaboratively within project teams helping deliver an ambitious programme of capital flood defence works investing £5.2 billion nationwide better protecting 336,000 households from flood risk (2021-27). You’ll be involved at all stages of project delivery from feasibility through to completion.
Your surveying expertise will also be applied to managing a diverse land and property portfolio, including property management, valuation and dealing with landlord and tenant issues. As a confident negotiator, you will also represent our interests externally with a broad customer and client base in Estate management
With an up-to-date knowledge of current legislation and best practice, you’ll provide strong technical guidance and support to other members of your team on surveying matters. You will also be supported to develop both personally and professionally.
This role isn’t just about providing professional surveying expertise, it’s about playing an exciting and evolving role in making a long-term difference.
With experience of working as a Surveyor in a professional estates service, you will hold an appropriate RICS qualification (AssocRICS/MRICS/FRICS) from commercial/rural pathways. You will be able to demonstrate knowledge/experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Good understanding of planning, property and compensation legislation and compulsory purchase procedures.
- Provide advice on land and compensation matters to minimise project risk and compensation liabilities. Negotiating access to land, securing appropriate interests and settling compensation claims.
- Manage a diverse land and property portfolio including property management, valuation and landlord and tenant issues to ensure sustainable land use.
- Knowledge of current legislation and best practice to enable you to provide specialist advice as part of integrated teams.
- Confident communicator, able to engage professionally, efficiently and effectively with both internal and external customers through good networking skills.
- Well-developed negotiation and dispute resolution skills.
The East Estates Hub is a team of surveyors of varying levels of experience and support staff offering professional Estates advice for land, compensation and valuation matters across East Anglia.
We sit within a function 125 strong providing national coverage and offering opportunity to share best practice and specialist knowledge. We will play a key delivery role in enabling us to meet our ambitious Net Zero target.
As well as the opportunity to make a real difference to the environment, you can look forward to a competitive package with a range of benefits. These include:
- a generous career average salary pension scheme (currently 19% contributions from us);
- holiday allowance linked to grade and length of service, rising from 27 days to 30 days per year, plus 8 statutory public and bank holidays (pro-rata for part-time employees);
- generous enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption leave schemes;
- a range of flexible working options including flexi-time; these depend on business needs, but our aim is to help you achieve a positive work-life balance.
We will support your continued personal and professional development too and we’ll put a formal development plan in place for you and help you to identify and address any skills gaps. We are committed to having an inclusive workforce to reflect the communities we serve. We welcome applications from candidates seeking flexible working patterns, including job share. Please highlight any information regarding preferred flexible working arrangements on your application.
For more information about this role, the Estates team and the Environment Agency you can download the candidate information pack. If you have any further enquiries about this role, please email RecruitmentEstates@environment-agency.gov.uk.
The closing date for applications is 5 December2021, and we expect to be holding interviews in early January.
Diversity: it’s in our nature