- Professional Practice
- Coordinate all property transactions (sales, purchases, leases, tenancies, easements and licences) in accordance with agreed procedures and policies.
NB Property transactions relating to houses, glebe and sundry property are handled by the Assistant Head of Property Services (Housing and Glebe) who will work with this post to ensure consistent compliance with charity and other regulations
As agreed with the Head of Property Services, to develop relevant, appropriate and timely advice and guidance in respect of the acquisition, management and disposal of property
To co-ordinate the necessary procedures for planning, listed building and conservation area consent applications To manage external agents and other consultants in accordance with agreed policies To arrange surveys, schedules of condition and specifications for work, directly or through consultants) and supervise contractors in respect of provincially managed property Resolve boundary disputes seeking appropriate external advice Support local congregations across Wales with property issues relating to churches, churchyards and church halls as required
- The management of staff
- To effectively manage the church and heritage team to achieve their job purpose and the objectives of the Representative Body.
To comply with procedures and policies of the Representative Body with regard to the management of people To establish effective procedures for communication with and between staff especially remote workers. To establish effective procedures to monitor the workload and effectiveness of staff
- Property Inspection, repairs and projects
- Ensure there is a proper and effective system for monitoring the condition of closed buildings and other property under the care of the Representative Body and assigned to the postholder
Devise and maintain proper systems for procuring and specifying necessary works to buildings as required To deliver repairs and maintenance work on budget and on time. To manage specific building projects assigned by the Head of Property Services
- Management of the church closure process
- Oversee proper arrangements for the closure and management of closed and redundant churches according to the Constitution and agreed policies
Manage the team to ensure effective and timely action to manage closed churches To improve and develop the church closure process in partnership with Dioceses
- Developing the Future of closed churches
- Direct the work of the closed church team to ensure good outcomes based on a clear closed church plan for each building
Develop innovative new ideas and uses for redundant buildings to both raise income and reduce liability for the Representative Body Be the primary contact with the Friends of Friendless Churches in developing the Redundant Churches Mechanism Work with community groups and housing associations on schemes for re-use, where agreed Develop the Pilgrim Church concept with Dioceses balancing mission benefits and costs To work with the Climate Change Champion to further the church’s net zero carbon ambitions
- Ensure closed churches are adequately insured according to agreed arrangements
With the Head of Property Services, to advise and develop the Church Insurance Group Scheme
- Guidance and Church Support (with the Church Heritage and Support Manager)
- Direct and support the work of the Church Heritage and Support Manager
With the Head of Property Services and the Church Heritage and Support Manager, ensure the faculty system is fit for purpose liaising with legal colleagues as appropriate. With the Head of Property Services and the Church Heritage and Support Manager, develop and improve the On Line Faculty System To identify and develop appropriate guidance and training for local churches through close cooperation with Dioceses and others To oversee the work of the Cathedrals and Churches Commission To ensure the Rule 66 RB Faculty consultations are responded to appropriately and in a timely manner
- Administration and Compliance
- Support the work of the Property Committee as required including the preparation of agenda items, reports and minutes as well as attending, meetings as required.
- Improve and develop systems for maintaining logbooks, inventories and terriers Oversee the distribution of church sales proceeds in accordance with the Regulations governing the application of the proceeds of sale of Churches, Church Sites and Churchyards Follow agreed procedures and protocols in particular those set out within the Constitution of the Church in Wales
Ensure compliance with Charity Commission regulations regarding the disposal of property including achieving best value and the preparation of Charities Act surveyor reports Process invoices for payment Oversee the submission of insurance claims, when needed To write reports and deal with relevant correspondence
- To oversee compliance with relevant statute and regulations e.g asbestos management, CDM etc
- Operate a system for approving external consultants including agents, architects, surveyors and engineers Operate systems for monitoring and tracking cases and transactions to ensure effective case work management
With the Head of Property Services, ensure compliance with statutory and regulatory procedures
- Monitor legislation and support the Head of Property Services in developing policies and procedures accordingly as relevant
- Other duties as reasonably required.