Building Surveyor Manager
Location: Field – North
Job Sector: Technical Services
As a Building Surveyor Manager, you will contribute to our vision of being the favourite residential property manager, by:
- Playing a pivotal role in creating and delivering industry-leading solutions to grow the capabilities of the surveying operation
- Leading a successful revenue generating team of surveyors that significantly contributes to the overall success of FirstPort
- Imparting technical knowledge and experience across your team, that positively benefits our clients and customers alike.
- Engaging with the wider business to promote the internal Surveying capability and identify business opportunities.
This role reports to the Director of Technical Services and has a team of up to 5 direct reports, dependent on the regional team.
FirstPort is the largest and most experienced residential property manager in the UK, employing more than 4,000 colleagues dedicated to looking after peoples’ home.
Great property management is about more than just bricks and mortar. We recognise and value the contribution our people make to our business and we are committed to ensuring they are skilled and equipped to do the best job they can and that they have the opportunity to realise their full potential.
Our Values set out the commitments we have made to deliver excellent service and they inform the relationships that we have with customers and clients. They shape our culture and are used in measuring and rewarding performance.
You will be a highly motivated, professionally qualified and experienced building surveyor, either currently in a leadership role or ready to take the next step.
You also have substantial technical surveying experience in the Property Management environment with a wide range of building types as well as sound commercial understanding of a surveying ‘practise’ and ability to clearly articulate commercial performance with senior managers
As you are a proactive individual you relish the opportunity to take on the commercial and business elements of running an internal revenue generating business and capable of building effective relationships both internally and externally that will generate opportunities.
Your high personal standards and means you want to develop, motivate and support your team in attaining the same level, recognising that high performance will lead to delighted customers and clients.
Communications comes naturally to you and you can effectively engage with internal and external stakeholders and all levels of the business.
- Managing the output, content and quality of a regional team of Building Surveyors including 1-2-1 discussions and local team meetings.
- Building the activity pipeline in conjunction with the Surveying Co-Ordinator, through regular interaction with Regional Managers and Area Managers.
- Accountable for the financial output of the team, ensuring income targets are achieved and productivity exceeds 80%. Supporting the Surveying Co-Ordinator in building the weekly financial billing and performance report which includes Work-In-Progress and non-billable activity.
- Undertaking building surveying activity including:
- defect diagnosis and preparation of reports for clients,
- surveying properties and preparing specifications of works,
- preparing asset management plans for properties, focussing on condition, obsolescence and life cycle costing,
- managing licence to alter applications from residents in accordance with best practice and FirstPort procedures.
- preparing documentation in accordance with current CDM standards, and ensuring compliance with the industry regulations and best practice.
- Identify and support potential business opportunities outside of FirstPort and assist the Director of Technical Services in obtaining new business with external clients.
- Actively contribute to the strategic direction of the Surveying team as a member of the Technical Services leadership team
- Actively participate in the bi-monthly Surveying team meetings and organise appropriate CPD topics for inclusion in the meetings.
- Support and develop graduate and developing surveyors. Act as final approving authority for technical reports in line with professional guidelines.
- Support the development of the Asset Management framework through technical trials and development
Friendly – We look out for people’s best interests, and show them we care by dealing with them in a warm and friendly manner.
Inventive – We’re creative and resourceful. We strive to improve what we do and how we do it, so we can provide the best ideas and solutions to look after people, their homes and communities.
Respectful – We listen, consult and take on-board people’s opinions and needs. We understand the importance of the home and community in people’s lives, and act with respect at all times.
Skilled – We’ve the qualifications, experience and take great pride in our work to consistently deliver the highest standards and value for money. We’re informed, and we’re always building on that knowledge to constantly improve our quality of service.
Trustworthy – We’re always professional, reliable, open and honest. People can depend on us to keep our promises and follow through on our commitments.
Our customers deserve the best and the same applies to our people. We’ll support you with all of the technology, training and support that you need to do your job well. We offer competitive salaries and a range of benefit packages. In addition to the core benefits, we also offer a range of exclusive discounts on extra benefits to help you and your family make the most of your money, safeguard your future and look after your health.
We’re committed to promoting diversity at FirstPort and recruit on merit. We will consider applications from job share applicants.
Ready to Apply?
Click here to apply for this role. We will ask you to upload your CV and answer a few questions. You may also be asked to complete verbal and numerical reasoning tests online.
If you meet the criteria for the role we’ll be in touch to arrange a short telephone interview and our shortlist of candidates will be invited to attend interviews with the hiring manager and up to three other key stakeholders.