We are currently looking for a dynamic Senior Surveyor to join the Property and Assets Team, based in Barnsley, and in return, you will receive a competitive salary of £35,745 -£38,890 per annum.
It’s exciting times at Barnsley, with the new £210 million Glassworks Development having opened recently and numerous other initiatives in and around the Borough in progress or up and running. We have a land and property portfolio of c2,500 assets and a book value of £0.5 billion.
About the Senior Surveyor role:
As our Senior Surveyor, you will have a full RICS Professional Status and be willing to take on varied and challenging tasks in support of the Group Leader Estates in the delivery of the Council’s Corporate Objectives through the Asset Management Plan and other Corporate Plans and Strategies.
You will be responsible for a diverse portfolio of land and property assets ensuring the Landlord and Tenant relationships are managed and nurtured and tenancies are managed effectively – we want you to bring your own style and experience to this role! Although previous Local Government experience, in a similar role, would be advantageous it is not essential – as such we would encourage someone with a private sector background to consider the position too.
We are looking for someone with strong commercial acumen who understands the challenges associated with a large property portfolio, who is well organised with excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Responsibilities of our Senior Surveyor include:
- Carrying out land, property and site visits (in accordance with health and safety guidance), to undertake inspections, valuations, measurement of land, conduct negotiations, agree leases, tenancies, easements, investigate queries and complaints and respond
- Dealing with customer enquiries on land and property matters on the phone, in writing and face to face
- Undertaking any other duties commensurate with the role as requested by management
- Providing structured and professional advice and developing effective strategies to encourage the growth of small businesses using our assets
- Providing structured and professional advice and developing effective strategies to reduce the number of assets held by the Council
- Producing development site opportunities and encouraging development by de-risking the sites in collaboration with key Business Units to support developers
- Producing statements for representation at Landlord & Tenant Act appeals
- Assisting with corporate and inter-departmental projects, enquiries, presentations etc
- Contributing to new lean policies, procedures and guidance
- Assisting in advising the council on national legislation and guidance as it affects asset management
- Contributing to the preparation of the asset management plan and other forms of asset guidance
- Making a substantial contribution to corporate projects, enquiries, presentations, etc
- Responding to consultation documents from Government and other outside bodies as appropriate
- Supervision and work allocation to junior members of staff/students and external consultants
Skills and experience we’re looking for in our Senior Surveyor:
- Full Membership or Fellowship of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors – General Practice and Valuation
- Registered Valuer
- Experience of general valuation and estate management
- Significant post qualification work experience and a full member of RICS
- Detailed knowledge of general valuation and estate/asset management strategies and policies and the application of RICS Valuation - Professional Standards 2014 (Red Book) and Code of Conduct and CIPFA guidelines
- Knowledge of Microsoft packages i.e. Word, Excel, Access
- High level of oral and written communication skills
- The ability to work outside normal office hours
- Willing to work flexibly in accordance with policies and procedures to meet the operational needs of the council
- Willing to undertake training and continuous professional development in connection with the post
- Work in accordance with the council's vision, priorities, values and behaviours
- Able to undertake any travel in connection with the post
Closing Date: Monday 13th December 2021
To achieve your ambitions, apply now to become our Senior Surveyor by submitting an application form with a brief supporting letter today through our website.