Portfolio Lead: Development & Disposal
Birmingham, Leeds, London
£60,135 - £72,356
Are you a qualified surveyor who is a confident communicator, with strong problem-solving skills?
Do you have experience managing a changing property portfolio of projects and priorities?
Would you like the opportunity to be a key contributor to a variety of development projects?
If so, we would love to hear from you!
We have a new opportunity for a Property Portfolio Lead to join our Advisory and Delivery team within the Department for Transport’s Group Property directorate.
Group Property provides property leadership across the Department for Transport’s (DfT) agencies and arms-length bodies and has direct responsibility for the Department’s central estate covering the whole property lifecycle. It manages the DfT property portfolio to maximise value, reduce costs and increase returns. However, working in our team isn’t just about property, it’s about people, the new transport infrastructure that we enable and the vital services our buildings support.
In this role, you will represent the Department's property interests on a variety of development projects - from advising on identifying opportunities to restructure land interests, to releasing land for development or advocating the Department interests in the promotion of schemes under development by third parties and alongside major infrastructure projects. This will include wider transport regeneration opportunities, such as the redevelopment of Euston station.
You will lead Group Property’s engagement with Local Authorities and Development Corporations to deliver appropriate masterplans, while working closely with various delivery partners such as National Highways, Network Rail and DfT Directors to support and challenge property proposals where necessary. You will also lead on the disposal of development land, seeking to de-risk and demonstrate best practice in capturing land value uplift from our infrastructure schemes.
As a senior member of the team you will have direct line management of one surveyor and matrix management of others by project assignment.
Include, but not limited to:
- Identify key issues, courses of action and projects regarding the planning and development of land and buildings, working with Department colleagues to acquire land in line with Department objectives and de-risking the disposal of development land
- Engage and resolve any issues that arise out of the promotion of transport infrastructure projects, including the capturing of wider regeneration benefits, community impacts and leading on negotiation of contracts such as collaboration agreements; transaction agreements and leases
- Respond quickly to changes in market conditions, organisation requirements and government policies
- Act as a subject matter expert in all areas of Development, including masterplanning and commercial strategy, providing strategic advice on complex elements of policy and project implementation
- Understand future workstreams, particularly identifying disposal opportunities, and ensure the expected consequences of the business strategy inform the development of the wider DfT Strategic Asset Management Plan (SAMP)
- Create robust business cases to support strategy recommendations; feasibility management, quantifying value creation and other commercial benefits appropriately tailored to departmental objectives.
- Work in collaboration with other Government Departments, such as DLUHC and Cabinet Office on national strategic development considerations
- Advise Ministers when needed and respond to Parliamentary Questions including those arising under land value capture; promotion of regeneration in and around transport projects
- Develop effective client relationships with our professional advisors and with DfT infrastructure sponsor teams, Legal and Finance colleagues to present a unified DfT view
You’ll be currently working as a property professional in a private or public-sector organisation linked to property, infrastructure or housing and will be involved in the promotion of complex development opportunities leading to the acquisition and disposal of land. Whatever your background, if you have the skills, passion and determination we’re looking for then you will be supported to succeed.
You can manage a changing portfolio of projects and priorities with the ability to deliver to tight deadlines, manage teams, prioritise work and adapt your working style to meet the different needs of each client or transaction.
You are an effective communicator and negotiator, able to influence others by articulating reasons to gain agreement. You think ahead to identify problems and find solutions, giving direction and communicating confidently. You can inspire others to work towards a long-term goal and recognise wider strategic implications.
The necessary experience as a member of RICS (or equivalent) will include working as a leader and establishing good relationships with key business heads and senior stakeholders.
Apply before 11:55 pm on Monday 6th December 2021.