SENIOR DEVELOPMENT MANAGER – STRATEGIC LAND
Attractive Salary + Benefits
Hatfield Park Estate Office, Hertfordshire
Gascoyne Estates own and manage extensive private family property holdings within London, Hatfield in Hertfordshire and Cranborne, Dorset. Hatfield Estate is managed by a dedicated management team based at the Estate Office, located within Hatfield Park.
Gascoyne take a long-term approach to the ownership of land and property and are committed to delivering economic, social and environmental benefits for the communities in which we live, work and invest. The principle of responsible business has been practiced for many generations – their sense of responsibility is fundamental to the way the estate has been managed in the past and continues to be run today. Gascoyne Estates believe that long term prosperity and success will be achieved in managing the estates in a way that delivers wider benefits for the environment, our tenants, our employees and local communities.
In addition to the pursuit of strategic development opportunities, the Hatfield estate is a vibrant and forward-looking business. The core estate encompasses a leisure and tourism operation, a farming business, forestry and an extensive portfolio of let property. Residential properties range from period farmhouses and cottages through to townhouses and flats; commercial properties range from a variety of office premises to retail and storage units.
Gascoyne takes pride in acting as both a professional landlord, a long-term landowner and valued stakeholder in the local community.
Reporting to the Estate Director, an enthusiastic and knowledgeable individual is required to oversee and guide the delivery of Gascoyne’s strategic development sites in Hertfordshire. The successful candidate may presently work within a comparable position for a consultancy, developer or landowner. The role would focus upon progressing the delivery of Gascoyne’s strategic development sites following the adoption of the Welwyn Hatfield Local Plan. The Strategic Development Manager will manage a consultant team working up masterplans, planning and delivery strategies and the financial appraisals necessary to deliver these projects. The role will involve all aspects of the development process.
The Development Manager will be a key member of the Hatfield Estate Management Team and whilst performing their core duties, it is also important that they regard the development sites in the context of the wider business. As part of the role, it will be essential to engage with other members of the management team to ensure a consistency of approach that aligns with the wider business purpose and strategy. This latter aims to ensure consistency across all areas of the business including shared goals of maintaining high standards, benchmarking, planning for new homes and commercial space; embracing the principle of community engagement and more generally ensuring that the reputation of the Estate and Gascoyne is upheld.
Gascoyne has since successfully promoted a variety of sites through the Local Plan process with potential for the delivery of 4000 homes and 500,000sq ft of employment space. Proposals include a significant urban extension north-west of Hatfield, a new satellite village, a science and innovation Park as well as more conventional development opportunities.
The successful applicant will play a crucial role in the delivery of Gascoyne’s strategic sites including:
- The management of the consultant team to progress delivery of Gascoyne’s strategic sites in alignment with Gascoyne’s prescribed standards, delivering social and economic value.
- The identification of appropriate housebuilder partners and the progression of planning consents on Gascoyne’s strategic land projects.
- Assisting with progression of Development Agreements with housebuilders / partners.
- Preparation and updating of internal financial project appraisals. Budgeting, monitoring and updating of financial forecasts and project cash flows.
- Building and maintaining external networks of providers and local contacts – agents, consultants, end users, partners and funders.
- Maintaining a progressive approach to matters which include energy, mobility and broader sustainability.
- Maintaining an active role in ensuring Gascoyne’s goals and achievements are consistently communicated via our websites, social media and published literature.
- Taking an active role in community engagement.
- Acting as an ambassador for Hatfield Park Estate and Gascoyne as a whole.
- A strong and engaging communicator, capable of representing Gascoyne, upholding our values and purpose.
- Ideally educated to degree standard and with strong skills in numeracy and written English. RICS, RTPI or ICE qualification preferable.
- Commercially astute with an eye for detail.
- Has a proven track record of negotiating with housebuilders and partners and whose experience has included exposure to the full development cycle, including successful delivery of at least one significant project. The preferred candidate will have an established network, be highly capable of briefing advisers, literate in technical, financial, and legal matters sufficient to both monitor and provide appropriate challenge.
- Understands the wider Gascoyne and Hertfordshire context, principles of legacy development and placemaking – knowledge and experience of community engagement / stakeholder management. Appreciates what is required to deliver lasting, positive social and economic benefit for our local communities.
- Has a strong work ethic, who will show commitment and invest, both in Gascoyne and our vision – an individual that relishes challenge and who can demonstrate due rigour, seeking the highest of standards.
- Must be grounded, a good critical thinker, a team player who respects existing structures and demonstrates a willingness to work collaboratively.
- Clean UK Driving License.
Please email your CV with full salary details to firstname.lastname@example.org or further information please contact Charlie Holroyde on 07973 116262.
Mulberry Executive Search have been retained by Gascoyne Estates to handle this assignment.