How you'll make a difference
Working within an expanding professional team who manage a broad range of professional projects, you will deal with all aspects of valuation and property management for Council acquisitions, disposals, asset valuations, rating and compensation matters. You will have the opportunity to be part of a professional service, ensuring we work in the most cost effective way, having a duty to achieve best value for all property transaction.
South Gloucestershire Council is a dynamic authority serving a population of approx. 270,000 in an area of 537 sq. km north and east of Bristol with land and building assets exceeding £530m. We are constantly looking at new and innovative ways to maximise the potential of our property assets and you could be a part of this.
What will you be doing?
- You will be managing land and property in the council’s ownership, negotiating leases, licenses, rent reviews, monitoring debt, securing and monitoring empty properties.
- On a daily basis you will be providing professional advice, support and guidance to colleagues to ensure that performance objectives are achieved, team work is effective, colleagues are supported the team is technically capable and technical work is carried out satisfactorily.
- In the role you will negotiate terms and charges with statutory authorities and other bodies for easements, wayleaves, licences and rights of way affecting land in the ownership of the council.
- You will be marketing and negotiation for the sale or lease of council properties, and where relevant organise and control the work and budget of teams in specialist areas, to achieve Council targets. You will also be purchasing property by agreement or under compulsory powers.
- Part of the role will be to provide valuation reports as required for property transactions, feasibility studies/land estimates and asset valuation purposes.
- You will be required to develop innovative solutions to technical issues ensuring that appropriate solutions are proposed and successfully implemented and consult on issues with wider implications whilst meeting service regulations and codes of practice.
- Responsibility will be yours to prepare and present reports, ensuring that they are completed on time and meet Council guidelines and are a clear summary of any issues and implications. You will also represent the Council as an advocate the Council’s interest.
- This is a hybrid working role, currently working from home and attending site visits as required.
What we need from you
- It is essential that you have a Degree in Estate management or equivalent, and have Membership of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, General Practice Division.
- You must have 2 years Post qualification experience working in a commercial organisation or local authority.
- You will have relevant practical experience of planning and progressing work activities within general professional guidelines, demonstrating proven management acumen and motivating staff to achieve organisational objectives and successful technical outcomes.
- We require you to have effective IT skills and working knowledge of word processing, databases and spreadsheet packages ,ideally, experience of MapInfo (although training will be given if needed)
- You will possess good communication and organisational skills and be able to meet commercial and contractual deadlines and able to persuade and influence others and deliver on project outcomes.
- It is desirable that you are a Registered Valuer and experience of Local Government practises and procedures.
How a career at South Gloucestershire Council is different
- We know our team work best when they have balance in their lives, and we offer genuine flexibility to help them achieve that work/life balance.
- We value our staff as individuals, investing in their careers and we are recognised for the quality, breadth and depth of our training and development offer, which helps make the greatest long-term difference in work.
- We have invested in the technology and support to enable staff to work seamlessly from home so we can ensure we are keeping staff safe during Covid-19. For those staff who may need to work in the office we have also ensured that our offices and hubs are Covid secure; and have measures in place such as one-way systems, socially distanced workstations and hand sanitizer stations throughout our premises.
Our teams at South Gloucestershire Council are making a real difference to the lives of people who live, work and learn here.
- We’re providing essential services across our internal network to ensure we can fully support our community.
- We’re positive and forward thinking, always looking for new and innovative ways of working work and we’re ambitious about the future.
- We've achieved a great deal, but we need talented and dedicated people to ensure we continue to make a difference.
We’re making a difference, be part of it!